7 Best Food Supplements For Weight Loss
A balanced diet and exercise are the key to losing weight and staying healthy. However, there are some dietary supplements for weight loss than can help give you that extra motivation when trying to lose weight. It is important to note that you should never start taking any supplements without first consulting a doctor. A professional should be the only person to prescribe a supplement ideal for you and your body’s metabolism. In addition, when taking any supplements, make sure to follow the appropriate guidelines for maximum affect.
So, do you need help loosing weight with the help of natural food supplements? If so, you’ve come to the right place! For more about the best food supplements for weight loss, keep reading here at OneHOWTO.
Nutritional supplements: what are they?
The NIH (Office of Dietary Supplements of the National Institutes of Health of the United States) defines nutritional supplements as a set of substances that include vitamins and minerals essential for human beings.These may contain herbs or medicinal plants with beneficial properties (such as echinacea), or specific amino acids and enzymes to treat a type of condition (such as glucosamine or fish oils).
These supplements can come in various formats, from pills or shakes, to energy bars. All with the aim of helping a specific goal, in our specific case, losing weight.
For more, we recommend reading our article where we discuss how to take vitamin supplements.
Natural supplements for weight loss
There is a wide variety of natural food supplements for weight loss. These supplements tend to work bu either, reducing appetite, promoting fat burning or decreasing body absorption. Among these popular weight loss natural supplements, we have:
- Spirulina: spirulina is an algae that acts on the sensation of hunger by reducing it, helping you lose weight in a better controlled way. In addition, spirulina has a high nutritional value. In fact, you can consume spirulina in pills, shakes and even powder to add to salads and detoxifying juices, for example. For more, we recommend reading our article where we discuss, what are the properties of spirulina?
- L-Carnitine: is commonly used when trying losing weight because it helps convert stored fats into a source of energy for exercise.
- CLA (conjugated linoleic acid): this fatty acid blocks the transfer of fats and helps its destruction, preventing them from being stored.
- Fucus: is a genus of brown algae that also acts on the sensation of satiety. In addition, fucus is rich in vitamins and minerals. Fucus can also cleanse and detoxify the body, however, it is not recommended for people suffering from thyroid problems. Do you suffer from thyroid problems? In this case, you may find our article about foods rich in iodine for thyroid interesting.
- Garcinia cambogia: known also as Garnicia gummi-gutta is a fruit used to improve fat metabolism and reduce appetite. For more, read our article where we discover how to take Garnicia Cambogia pills for weight loss.
- Garlic pills: to avoid the adverse effects of eating a lot of garlic like bad breath and strong taste, you can buy concentrated garlic pills as a supplement to lose weight. Garlic helps burn fat and regulate metabolism. In addition, it is a works well to regulate blood pressure. Garlic also functions well as an antimicrobial and stimulate the immune system. But how can you add garlic to your diet? Read our article where we discuss how to add garlic to your diet.
- Konjac (glucomannan): this is a paste made from soluble dietary fiber (3%) and water (97%). In fact, its only nutritional value is its low percentage of fiber which helps to lose weight, when accompanied by a balanced and nutritional diet. Konjac should not be used as a fiber substitute, but rather as a weight loss aid.
Are you looking to lose weight but also gain muscle mass? If so, you’ll love our article where we list the best supplements for muscle growth.
Weight-loss pills: do they work?
Some nutritionists claim that dietary supplements are useful when one is not able to eat a varied and balanced diet, for example: vegans often need extra iron or Vitamin B12. But remember, diet pills are not magic and we always recommend opting for NATURAL supplements. These pills should also always be accompanied by other types of healthy habits such as physical activity and a balanced diet. Many people think that they will lose weight by simple taking a pill, this is NOT THE CASE. Dietary pills and supplements will only work when accompanied by a healthy lifestyle and balanced diet.
On the market now, however, you can find so many different types of diet pills and it is important to inform yourself on the best choice for you. Some of these pills have proven to be very effective while others only work through a placebo effect.
Diet pills work in the following way:
- They accelerate metabolism and help burn fat.
- They inhibit the absorption of fat within the intestine.
- They diminish appetite by reducing the sensation hunger and controlling its anxiety.
- They combat fluid retention.
For more about losing weight naturally, we recommend reading our following articles:
Dietary supplements for weight loss
Here are some of our top tips we recommend taking into consideration when choosing supplements for weight loss:
- Choose a product that offers a detailed description and clear explanation about the biological functioning of its active principles.
- Always consult a doctor before taking any new pills or making significant changes to your diet.
- Search the Internet for comments, testimonials and opinions from other users and customers.
- Make sure you know about all of the side effects, contraindications and potential risks of what you are taking.
- Be sure that this supplement corroborates on its label and shows additional credentials of health and consumer protection organizations.
Food supplements for weight loss: protein shakes
So, what are protein shakes? Protein shakes are nutritious drinks low in fat and calories, which aim to provide your body with extra protein. These shakes help you lose weight because they generate a feeling of satiety. This is in addition to increasing energy expenditure due to the extra effort your body has to make when digesting them.
The market for protein shakes is extremely large and varied. We recommend choosing a smoothie type according to your own body and general health status. In addition, we recommend consulting a professional in nutrition to help you choose the right shake for you. Remember that some shakes are made to help people gain weight or muscle mass. Therefore, you need to choose a protein shake appropriate for what you want. Always bear in mind that specialists recommend using these shakes to as an addition to diet, not as a food substitute.
For more about protein shakes for weight loss, we recommend reading:
Supplements for weight loss: recommendations
Just to be on the safe side, we suggest considering taking these recommendations into account when taking supplements for weight loss:
- Do not use dietary supplements in excessive.
- Do not consume dietary supplements if you suffer from kidney failure, diabetes or any chronic pathology that could be worsened by taking them.
- Go for a medical check up before treatment to consult your metabolic status.
- Do not combine or use different supplement together with additional medication.
- Search for information on non-commercial sites (National Institute of Health, FDA, NIH, etc.)
- The best thing you can do is consult a specialist before consuming any food supplement, especially if you're looking to lose weight healthily.
Smoothie for weight loss
If you’re looking to lose weight naturally and healthily, you have to take a look at our following video where we offer you some fruit smoothie ideas for weight loss!
This article is merely informative, oneHOWTO does not have the authority to prescribe any medical treatments or create a diagnosis. We invite you to visit your doctor if you have any type of condition or pain.
If you want to read similar articles to 7 Best Food Supplements For Weight Loss, we recommend you visit our Family health category.