How To Fake A Fever With An Ear Thermometer
Ear thermometers are known to give the most accurate reading of your body temperature. Since the eardrum and the hypothalamus have same blood vessels, it is the most reliable way of taking the temperature of your brain. But what will you do if you want to fake a fever and someone has decided to take your body temperature with an ear thermometer. Tricking an ordinary thermometer is easily done by warming up in some way. But it’s not that easy to fake a fever with an ear thermometer. OneHOWTO will try to explore some possible options.
How does an ear thermometer work?
Ear thermometer is a kind of thermometer that is used to register body temperature through the ear canal. It was developed to take reading as close to the brain temperature of a person as possible. Before ear thermometers were invented, temperature readings were measured through a person’s mouth, under-arm or rectum. The temperature of a person’s ear most closely resembles the person’s brain temperature, due to which it is the most accurate temperature reading. Since the ear drum is present inside the head, it is an accurate point to read body temperature. However, the ear thermometer does not touch your ear drum, since it is very fragile and sensitive. The reading is taken through infrared radiation. The device notices subtle changes in the infrared emissions inside your ear and brain, converts it into a reading and displays it on an LCD screen on the thermometer.
Ways to Increase Reading on an Ear Thermometer
Here are a few ways that you can use to increase the temperature reading on your ear thermometer:
- Take a heating pad, put it on low setting and keep it on your ear for several minutes. Put a hot washcloth near your ear. Lie on the ear for several minutes. Obstruct your ear canal with a cotton ball for about 10-20 minutes. All these tricks will boost the temperature of your ear. When someone takes your ear temperature with an ear thermometer, its temperature reading will turn out to be much higher than it actually is. Rubbing your ear vigorously just before taking the reading will warm up your ear and increase the reading on the thermometer.
- You may also heat up your ear by blowing a hair dryer towards it. Make sure that the hair dryer is not too hot, as it may be painful and damage your ear drum or skin around the ear.
- If you have access to the ear thermometer before taking the reading, you can warm it up beforehand by placing it near hot running water, or holding it near a hot light bulb.
- Take a Q-tip, run it in hot water for around a minute, and put it inside your ear for 5 seconds. This will increase the temperature of your ear right at the point where the ear thermometer will take the reading
- Hold your breath for as long as you can. This will force blood circulation on your face, making it hotter than normal.
- Rub the tip of the thermometer vigorously with your fingers. This will heat up the thermometer and trick it for a fake fever.
- If your mom has given you something hot to drink or eat, such as a hot cup of tea or coffee, lean the thermometer tip against it and let the temperature reading shoot up. But make sure that the reading does not boost up to unbelievable figures.
Ways to Actually Increase your Body Temperature
Here are a few ways with which you can actually increase the temperature of your body. So, when someone takes your temperature, it naturally goes up high.
With onion: Cut two thin slices of an onion with middle parts still unbroken in them. Put one slice each in your left and right armpit. Go to sleep while letting the slices stay in your armpits overnight. You will wake up with increased body temperature in the morning. Since armpits have extremely thin membrane, the chemicals in onions, including allicin, isoalliin and sufoxide, leach into your skin and enter your blood stream. When onion juice comes in contact with the thin skin membrane of your armpits, it causes local inflammation that the body fights by increasing its temperature. Onions also contain irritants and pesticides that can raise your body temperature. Read How to Fake a Fever with Onion.
With garlic: Cut a garlic clove in two halves lengthwise, and place each half in both your armpits. Let them stay there overnight, and you will have a fake fever in the morning. As the garlic smell enters into your blood through the thin skin membrane of the armpits, its antisepsis effects start working and increase the temperature of your entire body. Since garlic attracts viruses and microorganisms, your body gets ready to fight against them by increasing the temperature. Your body identifies garlic as a foreign substance and starts releasing immunoglobulin E antibodies and histamines, all of which increase your body temperature and give you a fake fever. Read How To Fake A Fever With Garlic.
With toothpaste: Toothpastes have fluoride salts in small doses, and eating a whole tube of toothpaste can actually make you sick. It will make you vomit, upset your stomach and cause indigestion issues. All of these symptoms work together to increase your body temperature and give you fake fever. Actually, getting fever with toothpaste is not fake, but it is real. Ingesting an entire tube of toothpaste can actually make you sick, and give you an off from work or school. That’s why we do not recommend using this trick unless you actually want to get sick and skip an appointment. Read Why Not to Fake a Fever with Toothpaste.
Once your body temperature increases using any of these methods, your temperature reading on the ear thermometer will be high and others will be convinced that you are down with fever.
Other Tricks to Convince Others That You Have Fever
You can fake a fever using the above mentioned methods, but that would not be enough. You need to have some acting skills too to convince others that you are sick. Fake these symptoms of fever using your acting talent:
- Shivers: People with fever often feel hot outside and cold inside. The combination of hot and cold make them shiver. You can fake a shiver by tightening your muscles and shaking your body a little
- Sweat: Do some physical exercise in the privacy of your bathroom and make your body sweat
- Headache: Keep complaining that you have a headache. Put your fingers on your forehead and press it as if you are trying to relieve your pain
- Muscle pain: Fake a muscle pain whenever you try to move out of your bed, or lift something from the floor
- Loss of appetite: People with fever often complain of lost appetite. Even if you are offered your favorite food, resist eating it by saying that you don’t want to eat anything
- Be lazy: Since you are feeling sick and down with fever, act lazy as if you just don’t want to get out of bed. Even if someone asks you to go to your favorite place, dismiss him by saying that you want rest. Avoid smiling, and stay lethargic as if your body is painful and you don’t feel like doing anything
- Stay warm: Stay in your body under the blanket for as long as you want to fake fever. This will keep your body warm and keep others convinced that you are sick
This article is merely informative, oneHOWTO does not have the authority to prescribe any medical treatments or create a diagnosis. We invite you to visit your doctor if you have any type of condition or pain.
If you want to read similar articles to How To Fake A Fever With An Ear Thermometer, we recommend you visit our Family health category.