How To Stop Your Period With Lemon
Menstruation is a physiological process that consists of the expulsion of unfertilized ovules through the vagina. Women experience their periods monthly. Sometimes, however, our periods can coincide with important events. In addition, some women also suffer from extremely long and painful periods and need help shortening them.
It’s a common conception that lemon can stop periods. Thanks to their nutritional composition, they are known to help shorten and stop menstruation naturally. In this oneHOWTO article we will be discussing how to stop your period with lemon , in addition to discussing some other home remedies that, in addition to lemons, help in shortening a period.
Nutritional composition of lemons
Lemon, also known scientifically by the name of Citrus X limonia, is a fruit that is extracted from a lemon tree, belonging to the rutáceas family. Lemons are cultivated in the warmer climates of some regions of the Mediterranean. This citrus-flavored fruit is known for its great nutritional composition:
- They are rich in pectin, a type of non-soluble fiber.
- They contain a high content of flavonoids, which have excellent antioxidant properties.
- They are formed by different acids, among which are: citric, malic, acetic, formic and caffeic.
- They contain different essential oils, which include: limonene, isopulegol, alpha pinene, beta bergamoten, cifral, cryptapene and sabinene.
- Lemons are rich in vitamin C, B group vitamins and vitamin P.
- This fruit is made up of beneficial minerals, such as: potassium, magnesium, calcium and phosphorus.
Does lemon delay your period
Thanks to the richness of the above mentioned nutrients, lemons contain high medicinal properties;
- Although not scientifically proven, lemon has proven to be very popular in reducing menstrual flow. Some think that this is possible due to its richness in citric acid.
- Lemon peels have excellent anti-inflammatory and antiseptic properties due to their richness in essential oils. These properties help relieve menstrual cramps both prior and during a period. Many recommend drinking lemon water during period to ease discomfort.
- Menstruation can also cause digestive problems such as: diarrhea, bloating, gas and bad digestion. The richness in vitamins, acids and essential oils in lemons, make its juice juice an excellent tonic containing liver and digestive properties.
- Some women suffer from acute headaches during their menstruation periods. Lemon can alleviate these symptoms due to its anti-migraine properties.
- Lemons also have powerful depurative and diuretic properties, which help reduce fluid retention, another common symptom of a menstruation period.
If you suffer from severe period pains and want to stop your period with lemon, we recommend also taking a look at our article where we discuss how to get rid of period cramps at night.
How to shorten your period with lemon
It is important to mention that you cannot completely stop or deter a period with natural remedies. In fact, shortening or cutting a period can sometimes cause harm to the body, as you are challenging your bodies natural cycle. However, there are some natural treatments that can help to shorten your period or significantly reduce menstrual flow. We always advice consulting a doctor to make sure that your body is suitable to these tips;
If you want to use lemon to stop your flow for a couple of hours, you can follow these steps below:
- Take 4 lemons and cut them all in half.
- With the help of a juicer, or your hands, squeeze and extract the juice from each of the halves.
- Pour the juice in a glass, without straining it, and drink it in small sips.
- If it is too acidic, you can always add a little water so that the mixture is a little more diluted. However, you should not add sugar or any other sweetener, as it is believed that this may decrease the lemon's beneficial properties.
- You can drink around 1 to 2 glasses of this lemon juice daily, however, it is recommended that you start this two days before your period begins.
Home remedies to stop your period
Like lemon, there are also other natural remedies you can use to decrease menstruation time or excessive menstrual bleeding.Try any of the following:
- Thyme infusion: heat a glass of water and boil in 50 grams of thyme. Strain the mixture and drink it.
- Cinnamon infusion: heat a glass of water in a pot and when it begins to boil, add 2 tablespoons of cinnamon powder. Drink two cups a day, in the morning and at night.
- Cilantro infusion: toss a few coriander seeds in a pot filled with two glasses of boiling water. Strain it for a few minutes. Once it's cold, drink it.
- Licorice infusion: in a liter of boiled water, add 20 grams of dried licorice root. Let it sit for 10 minutes, strain it and drink.
Menstruation is different for every woman, therefore, we strongly recommend consulting your doctor before trying any remedies that you believe are not suitable to your body.
For more period related articles, we recommend reading the following:
This article is merely informative, oneHOWTO does not have the authority to prescribe any medical treatments or create a diagnosis. We invite you to visit your doctor if you have any type of condition or pain.
If you want to read similar articles to How To Stop Your Period With Lemon, we recommend you visit our Family health category.