How to Induce your Period with Vitamin C
Women may start to feel worried when their period does not start when it should, especially those who have a regular menstrual cycle. As you may know, vitamin C can help your period come thanks to its capacity to build up estrogen, which will in turn help your uterus create the contractions it needs for your period to start.
If you want to know how to induce your period with vitamin C, keep on reading this oneHOWTO article and find out about all of the ways you can safely use a natural source like vitamin C to make your period come.
How does vitamin C help your period come?
As we've mentioned in the introduction and according to the University of Maryland Medical center, among the benefits of vitamin C is the estrogen boost it gives to your body, which is one of the reason why it's so good for people who are undergoing hormone replacement therapy. This way, estrogen levels rise, helping your uterus function better by boosting the amount of contractions it needs in order to help your period start.
But this is not the only reason why vitamin C is useful for such purpose. The uterus is covered with a protective lining, which is the womb with which the uterus would protect a fetus if an ovary were to be fertilized. Vitamin C helps build this lining and also reduces the amount of progesterone, which is most of what will eventually become your period. Thus, increasing the intake of this vitamin will help the lining break.
Moreover, vitamin C also increases the amount of absorbic acid in your body, which will also help the uterus release the womb more easily.
In the picture below, you'll see how the amount of progesterone decreases with the beginning of the menstrual cycle.
Who can use vitamin C to induce a period?
You should know that vitamin C is not some kind of magic potion that will just make your period come whenever you desire just because you don't want it to come when it should. As we've explained above, this will only give your immune system a push to get your menstruation going when you are in your premenstrual part of the cycle.
Thus, taking vitamin C to make your period come will work if you have the following conditions:
Take vitamin C through your diet
There are several ways of starting to introduce more vitamin C into your diet in order to make your period come. Here are a few:
Add foods rich in vitamin C
- Fruit for breakfast? Add guava, kiwi strawberries and oranges to your bowl of cereal or oatmeal to help you take your five a day too.
- Add green leafy vegetables to your main courses. Make kale chips, spinach omelette or Swiss chard pie in order to get your appropriate dosage.
- Yellow pepper is the vegetable with the highest content in vitamin C. Thus, try to add this ingredient to your diet on a daily basis during this brief period of time.
- If you want to increase your vitamin C intake through animal sources, your best bet is to go for liver, as it contains the highest amount of it. For example, make yourself a dish of fried liver for dinner.
Take vitamin C rich juices or teas
If you prefer, you can make yourself a delicious juice or shake that will boost the chance your period coming soon.
- Make a kale and ginger juice, as ginger can also help induce your period. Cut up two green apples, six kale leaves, 4 celery stalks (without the leaves), 1 cucumber and 1 inch of fresh ginger. Blend perfectly until smooth and take once per day until your period comes.
- Another delicious juice that will be highly effective is the yellow pepper and orange juice, which also contains fresh ginger. To make it, peel two mangoes and one orange. Slice one yellow pepper and juice the ingredients with two inches of fresh ginger. Take once a day preferably cold.
- Teas to induce your period are also pretty popular. The most recommended tea to drink is parsley tea, as this is a herb with a high vitamin C content and a well-known home remedy too. Take a look at our article on how to induce your period with parsley here.
- Pomegranate tea can also help induce your period with vitamin C. To make put, put the seeds of three and a half pomegranates in a bowl and mix with one spoonful brown sugar. Crush well and put in an airtight container. Keep for around one month. After this time, add one teaspoonful and mix with boiling water. Take once a day to make your period come. As making pomegranate tea is a long process, you may want to purchase it ready made.
Take vitamin C though supplements
Vitamin C supplements are commonly used to treat skin problems and other dietary disorders. However, you should know that you can also use them. However, you should know that taking too much vitamin C can be bad. This is why you should be extremely careful when combining vitamin C rich food with these supplements.
When purchasing vitamin C supplements, make sure you read the instructions and contraindications of these pills. Remember you should never take a higher dose than 300 grams per day.
What are the risks of using vitamin C to make your period come?
As we've been warning you during the whole article, though you may think that Vitamin C is a natural solution to help your period come, there are cetain risks when taking it, so you should pay attention to the following warnings:
- Vitamin C may increase chances of getting pregnant when using birth control pills.
- The increase of absorbic acid in the body may affect people suffering from conditions such as sickle-cell disease.
- It may cause miscarriage if you are already pregnant.
- If you are smoking these techniques may not be as effective. Either quit smoking or increase the intake by 1/4.
This article is merely informative, oneHOWTO does not have the authority to prescribe any medical treatments or create a diagnosis. We invite you to visit your doctor if you have any type of condition or pain.
If you want to read similar articles to How to Induce your Period with Vitamin C, we recommend you visit our Family health category.