What To Eat If I Have Sore Throat
A sore throat is a condition that causes great discomfort, especially hampering the process of swallowing food which can even lead to not eating while in this state. However, sacrificing an appropriate diet may further weaken our immune system, affecting our health. Knowing how to choose food while suffering from this discomfort is very important. For this reason at OneHowTo.com we'll explain in detail what to eat if you have a sore throat to ensure a supply of food that is pain free and will give you a speedy recovery.
Causes of a sore throat
The causes of a sore throat are diverse and it may initially be a condition that we can treat at home. However, when it comes to serious infections or inflammations going to a doctor is essential in order to receive timely treatment to put an end to the discomfort quickly.
The most common reasons for a sore throat are:
- Bacterial infections: these can lead to symptoms such as inflammation and pus in the area. To treat it, you should take antibiotics prescribed by a specialist. Conditions like tonsillitis or pharyngitis are caused by such infections.
- Virus: this is a common reason for a sore throat, which along with discomfort can cause other symptoms such as sneezing, runny nose and general discomfort. The most common virus in these cases are the flu and mononucleosis.
- Allergies: one of the symptoms of respiratory allergies is pain and discomfort in the throat, a product of a reaction to the allergen. Identifying the cause of the discomfort and receiving professional treatment with antihistamines is key to treating the condition.
- Irritation: this occurs as a response to various triggers, such as cigarette smoke, air conditioning or spicy food.
What to eat if I have sore throat
The most important thing to keep in mind if you have a sore throat is that you should not irritate it or cause further damage in the area. Therefore, it's important to choose foods that are soft so that they pass through this area without causing discomfort. Following a soft diet is the best choice and for this reason suggested foods are:
- Warm soups made with soft vegetables and/or pasta. Avoid very hot food.
- Cream of vegetable soups of any kind.
- Mashed potato or variants using vegetables such as carrot or courgette.
- Shredded vegetables.
- White rice without added ingredients.
- Boiled soft fish, such as hake and monkfish.
- Boiled chicken, preferably shredded to make it easier to digest.
- Boiled potatoes.
- Hard-boiled egg.
- Soft cheeses like cottage cheese or cream cheese.
- Noodles or long pasta, preferably thin and cooked.
- Soft drinks, such as green tea or other teas.
- Soft fruits, like watermelon, cantaloupe or bananas may also be included.
- Ice cream and sorbets in the case of inflammation will help to reduce discomfort. Not recommended if you are hoarse.
- Flans, puddings and other soft desserts.
What should I avoid eating if I have a sore throat
A sore throat is often annoying and causes symptoms such as inflammation and irritation. For this reason it is very important to prevent aggravating this condition with what we consume in our diet and with that in mind we recommended limiting consumption of the following:
- Food that is very hot, as it can be very irritating.
- All kinds of spicy or strong spices.
- Citrus fruits and juices such as orange, lemon, strawberry, pineapple or kiwi.
- Any kind of crunchy food like crisps, biscuits, breaded food, etc.
- Nuts and grains.
- Rough foods like toast which can also cause discomfort.
- Any type of hard food.
- If you have phlegm and mucus, you should eliminate any kind of dairy product from your diet as they increase phlegm.
Remedies for a sore throat
Depending on the type of sore throat that you're experiencing and what the cause is, it is possible to look after the discomfort at home. However, remember that if the area is very inflamed and shows signs of an infection, you should seek medical advice.
If you want effective home solutions, we have prepared for you a list of articles that will help you. So, we encourage you to read:
This article is merely informative, oneHOWTO does not have the authority to prescribe any medical treatments or create a diagnosis. We invite you to visit your doctor if you have any type of condition or pain.
If you want to read similar articles to What To Eat If I Have Sore Throat, we recommend you visit our Family health category.