What are the Symptoms of a Throat Infection?
Throat infections are usually caused by the presence of a virus or bacteria that triggers a series of troubling symptoms that usually require medical attention for fast relief. Among the most common infections are pharyngitis and tonsillitis both of which can improve with the intake of anti-inflammatories and antibiotics. Early detection of this condition can save a lot of pain and discomfort, so at OneHowTo.com we explain what the symptoms of a throat infection are, so you can stop its progress as soon as possible.
Throat infections can appear for different reasons, causing severe discomfort in the patient who usually requires a few days of rest to recover along with the administration of appropriate medication.
Amongst the causes of a throat infection we have:
- The presence of different viruses such as adenovirus, influenza or mononucleosis.
- Presence of bacteria that trigger an infection.
- Although less common, fungal infections and parasites also cause this condition.
- Irritants such as cigarette smoke or smoke caused by fire can also lead to this condition. Colds and weather changes can affect our defences and make us more prone to throat infections.
The Symptoms of a throat infection may vary depending on the cause and the overall health of the patient, but the most common are:
- Sore throat
- Swelling and redness of the throat
- Difficulty swallowing or eating food
- Formation of patches of pus that may be increasing with the passage of time until they are easily visible
- Headache and fever
- Loss of appetite
- In some cases a throat infection can be accompanied by symptoms such as nausea and vomiting.
When faced with a throat infection the best thing is to consult a doctor as it is important to determine the cause of this condition to be able to administer proper treatment to eliminate discomfort in the shortest time possible. It is not advisable to self-medicate with antibiotics without knowing the source of the discomfort.
Medications commonly used to treat a throat infection are analgesics and anti-inflammatories to reduce pain and inflammation, antibiotics in the case of a bacterial infection, as well as rest and proper hydration. In our article how to treat a throat infection with home remedies you'll find some solutions that will help you relieve the symptoms. However, if after three days of no improvements, the recommendation is to see a doctor.
This article is merely informative, oneHOWTO does not have the authority to prescribe any medical treatments or create a diagnosis. We invite you to visit your doctor if you have any type of condition or pain.
If you want to read similar articles to What are the Symptoms of a Throat Infection?, we recommend you visit our Family health category.