The Best Natural Alternatives to Prednisone
Prednisone is a corticosteroid drug that people use to treat some inflammatory diseases such as asthma and crohn's disease. Besides this major use, it is also prescribed to treat some autoimmune diseases and even in some cases cancer. People use this drug because of its immunosuppressant properties, i.e. preventing the activity of the immune system, but the truth is that it has many side effects harmful for the body. The use of this drug for a long period of time can harm our health, especially when people stop taking it, as there are many symptoms of Prednisone withdrawal that can be avoided; so it is important to know which alternatives we can take to help ease the pain in an alternative way.
You must consult your doctor if you want to replace Prednisone with natural remedies. You should never stop your treatment and replace the drug for other remedies without the supervision of a professional. But if you want more information on what alternatives could work better for you, in this oneHOWTO article we explain the best natural alternatives to Prednisone.
- What is Prednisone used for?
- What are the side effects of Prednisone
- Prednisone alternatives to treat inflammatory diseases
- Prednisone alternatives to treat migraines
- Alternatives to Prednisone to treat Lupus
- Chinese medicine as an alternative to Prednisone
- Never replace Prednisone without the supervision of a professional
What is Prednisone used for?
Prednisone is a corticosteroid drug people use to treat inflammatory diseases, autoimmune diseases and, when taken in high doses, even cancer. These are some of the most common diseases treated with Prednisone:
- Rheumatic disorders
- Inflammatory bowel
- Some allergies
- Eye problems
- Immune system disorders
- Blood disorders
- Breathing problems
Depending on the cause, Prednisone can take a longer or shorter time to kick in. Take a look at our article on how long does it take for Prednisone to work? for more information.
What are the side effects of Prednisone
Prednisone is an effective drug to treat the diseases mentioned above, but it is associated with many side effects. Some of the most important are:
- High blood glucose levels
- Depression and anxiety
- Heart problems
- Trouble sleeping
- Nausea and vomiting
- Cushing's syndrome
These side effects can make the life of the person taking the drug much difficult, and for this reason some people want to try alternative remedies to Prednisone. However, it is important to bear in mind that no alternative will work as fast and effectively as Prednisone.
When you choose the best alternative to Prednisone, it is important to know the reason why you're taking it, as some remedies might work better than others.
Prednisone alternatives to treat inflammatory diseases
If you're taking Prednisone to treat inflammatory diseases such as asthma, arthritis and inflammatory bowel syndrome, there are certain alternatives that can help you with your problem.
An anti-inflammatory diet is the first step to treat this problem naturally. To carry an anti-inflammatory diet you should eliminate all grains (including gluten), sugar, alcohol, trans fats, aspartame, caffeine and chemicals. A dietitian will be able to create a complete anti-inflammatory diet according to your needs.
In addition to the anti-inflammatory diet, you can take other anti-inflammatory herbs and supplements that will help you fight off your ailment:
- Curcumin (extract of Turmeric). It is one of the most important alternative supplement to Prednisone that has anti-inflammatory, antioxidant and chemopreventive properties. Turmeric is especially used to treat arthritis.
- Liquorice root. It prevents the breakdown of the adrenal gland that produces cortisol and it strengthens the body's natural anti-inflammatory effects. However, liquorice root can elevate blood pressure, so it's important to avoid it if you suffer from this condition.
- Ginger. It is a really good natural anti-inflammatory
Professionals' recommendations say you should start taking these while you're still taking Prednisone. You can then gradually decrease your drug intake until the point in which you might not need it anymore. However, we remind you that you must visit a doctor before replacing Prednisone with any natural remedy.
Prednisone alternatives to treat migraines
If you're taking Prednisone to treat your migraines, you can replace the drug for some natural remedies that might ease your pain. Chamomile, white willow black tea and essential oils are great if you want to avoid migraines. These terrible headaches can be treated with herbs and are possible to relieve at home if you follow some steps.
Alternatives to Prednisone to treat Lupus
Prednisone is used to treat lupus, more specifically to treat some of its symptoms such as rashes and skin problems. Thus, as it's used as a corticosteroid, there are certain natural ingredients that will also help with these symptoms.
This is why we advise you to follow these tips instead:
- Eat vegetables raw and organic when possible to avoid additives and toxins that can trigger gut issues.
- Take anti-oxidant foods such as avocado, spinach, garlic...
- Omega-3 will also benefit a person suffering from lupus who wants to avoid taking Prednisone. Ingredients such as raw nuts or fish like herring will help reduce inflammation.
- Do plenty of exercise to reduce joint pain. Doing at least 30 minutes daily exercise will highly benefit your condition.
- Reduce stress levels. Practice half an hour yoga and try to get rid of activities that will unnecessarily increase your levels of stress.
- Get some quality sleep. It's not only important to sleep for 8 hours daily, but you should also make sure the quality of your sleep is good by choosing a right mattress and pillow that will ensure correct rest.
Remember that getting rid of Prednisone for Lupus and introducing these changes into your lifestyle does not mean you should stop taking any of the other medicines that your doctor has prescribed.
Chinese medicine as an alternative to Prednisone
Some herbal remedies from traditional Chinese medicine can work to treat the diseases for which Prednisone is used for. Especially in the case of treating asthma, some studies have determined that a Chinese herbal compound called ASHMI can work without the side effects that Prednisone would cause.
Traditional Chinese medicine has also studied the effects of natural compounds to treat allergies and have found out that a compound called FAHF-2 could work.
If you want to try traditional Chinese medicine you should put yourself in the hands of a certified professional. Be aware that sometimes people pretend to be natural healers but they don't have the necessary education. Always check references before trusting any natural healer.
Never replace Prednisone without the supervision of a professional
There are natural alternatives available to replace Prednisone, but you should never do it without the supervision of your doctor. If the side effects of Prednisone are making your life too difficult the best you can do is speak with your doctor and he/she will tell you what is the best alternative to take depending on your illness. Never do it on your own as there could be severe complications.
If you would like more information on alternative remedies for synthetic drugs, read this article and find out the best natural alternatives to Omeprazole.
This article is merely informative, oneHOWTO does not have the authority to prescribe any medical treatments or create a diagnosis. We invite you to visit your doctor if you have any type of condition or pain.
If you want to read similar articles to The Best Natural Alternatives to Prednisone, we recommend you visit our Drugs & supplements category.