How To Regenerate The Liver Naturally
The liver is one of the organs that can easily be affected by inadequate life habits. Poor nutrition or the consumption of excess alcohol can cause diseases of the liver, such as cirrhosis that can become chronic and/or even irreversible. It is for this reason that many people wonder if it is possible to regenerate this organ naturally through home remedies or other products. The truth is that improving the state of your liver is possible but it depends on each individual case.
In this oneHOWTO article we explain how to regenerate the liver naturally, as well as providing essential information in obtaining the best result.
Can the liver regenerate itself?
Yes, the liver is capable of regeneration, and is in fact the only organ that possesses this capacity. When damage occurs, the liver starts a process whereby it can renew damaged tissue by replacing it with healthy tissue. This process is composed of three stages that allow the liver to regenerate:
- First, the cells that are present in the liver known as hepatocytes, detect damage and reacts by activating its protein synthesis.
- Next, the hepatocytes begin to replace the damaged tissues with new ones by means of producing new cells.
- Finally, once all the tissue has been replaced and the organ recovers to its original function, the regeneration process stops.
However, while it is possible for the liver to regenerate, this will depend to a large extent on the severity of the damage. Thus, in some cases in which the organ is in very bad condition, there may be the possibility that it has lost complete ability to regenerate.
Diseases that can cause liver damage
There are several existing liver diseases that can cause damage to this organ. However, depending on factors such as age, disease type and time , it is possible that the ability for regeneration has also been affected. Here are the most common types of liver diseases:
Damage to the liver due to bad habits
This group includes different types of damages to the liver such as, cirrhosis or a fatty liver. These damages are mainly caused by the abuse of alcohol, drugs, medications or as a result of an inadequate diet carried out for a prolonged period of time. In these cases the organ progressively loses its normal function and in turn triggers a series of symptoms.
Liver damaged due to hepatitis
Hepatitis A, B and C is a virus which attacks the liver. Each type can be transmitted differently: through water and/or food, sexual transmission or blood. However, all three share symptoms, most commonly that of liver damage.
Liver cancer may appear as a consequence of any of the above diseases or appear without an apparent cause. In any of the cases it is important to detect this cancer early in order to increase the chance of cure. If this cancer is in its advanced stage, regeneration can be practically impossible.
How to regenerate the liver with home remedies
There are natural products that can help regenerate the liver providing that it is not severely damaged. However, if you are suffering from liver damage we recommend consulting a hepatologist in order to treat your individual case in the most effective way.
These are some of the home remedies you can use to help regenerate the liver naturally (depending on your individual case):
Desmodium adscendens (Sweetheart)
This medicinal plant is able to regulate liver enzyme levels and help the regeneration process. In addition, it provides other beneficial components to the liver such as flavonoids or alkaloids. In fact, there are studies that show consumption of this plant could have a positive influence on mild liver diseases and sometimes even on more serious liver damage. This beneficial effect is mainly due to its purifying ability which eliminates toxins, in addition to protecting and repairing liver cells.
To use this natural remedy to regenerate the liver you can visit your nearest herbalist. You can buy this plant in its dried plant form or find it in capsules or tinctures. Boil about 6 grams of this plant with water daily for up to 8 weeks.
This medicinal plant improves liver function due to its silymarin content. Silymarin is a compound used to treat various liver diseases as it contains hepatoprotective properties that prevent liver degeneration. Consuming milk thistle can stimulate growth of new tissues as well as inhibiting harmful toxins.
Silymarin is found in milk thistle seeds and this can be used to manage the impact of damage of various toxins which are known to cause liver damage.
Dandelion is perhaps one of most well-known used medicinal plant. The important part of the dandelion is found in the root, where a series of properties that help detoxify the liver are concentrated, such as diuretics and depuratives. Additionally, dandelions contains healing, hepatoprotective and tonic properties.
This natural remedy is mainly found in Europe and Asia. Among its most well-known properties are its purifying effects that help cleanse the blood and eliminate toxins from organs such as the liver. It is known to aid digestion and help alleviate stomach problems.
Prepare an infusion with a small spoonful of burdock root, let it sit and drink before it cools.
Another natural product that aids liver care is peppermint. Peppermint stimulates the function of the gallbladder by relaxing the muscles, relieving discomfort caused by colic and in turn improving the health of the stomach.
You can find this plant in capsule or powder form or you can prepare with a dandelion infused tea.
Food to regenerate the liver
Although these foods do not contribute completely to repairing damaged liver tissue , they can be a positive aid when it comes to purifying, detoxifying and improving the function of the liver.
- Turmeric: This spice contains components such as eugenol or borneol. These components are powerful at detoxifying and purifying the liver in the case of diseases such as cirrhosis or fatty livers. The good thing about turmeric is that it can be bought in powder form and is easy to add to meals.
- Olive oil: This oil is very beneficial in liver care. A moderate consumption of this golden liquid can combat oxidative damage of liver tissue and help fight effects of toxin accumulation in the body.
- Garlic: Garlic holds powerful antibiotic and antioxidant effect. Thanks to it allicin and selenium content, this tuber stimulates enzymes that are responsible for eliminating toxins that are known to damage the liver.
- Grapefruit: This fruit contains high levels of antioxidants and vitamin C. These two ingredients help purify the liver naturally. Grapefruit is also an excellent hepatic detoxifier.
Other tips to regenerate the liver naturally
The first thing we must do when we want to regenerate the liver is detect the cause of the damage and try to eradicate it completely. In many cases the problem boils down to bad habits, which in the long term, can cause damage to this organ. Therefore it is important to consider these factors in your path to regenerate your liver:
- Eliminate alcohol: Many people wonder how to regenerate a liver damaged by alcohol, since it is one of the main causes of liver disease. Alcohol flows through your blood circulation and is later processed by the liver, which has to make an increased effort to metabolize it. The liver can only handle so much, and therefore, when you consume an excess amount of alcohol, the liver then struggles to process this intake. In the long term, this can cause severe injuries to this organ.
- Controls your salt consumption: In the case of the liver, an excess of sodium can damage the cell present in the organ and can result in hepatic fibrosis. For this reason it is important to control your consumption of foods with a high salt content, such as processed meats.
- Drink lots of water: The abundant intake of liquids such as water or juice help purify the body and prevent the accumulation of harmful toxins in the liver. In addition, organs need to be constantly hydrated in order to function properly.
- Eat fruit: Fruit is very rich in water. Fruit contains acids that reduce sugar in blood, lessening your liver’s workload.
This article is merely informative, oneHOWTO does not have the authority to prescribe any medical treatments or create a diagnosis. We invite you to visit your doctor if you have any type of condition or pain.
If you want to read similar articles to How To Regenerate The Liver Naturally, we recommend you visit our Healthy living category.