Why Fungal Infections Occur and Are So Difficult to Treat
Fungi are microbes that live on our skin and in our dead tissue such as the scalp or nails. Fungal infections on skin begin with a small fungal infection rash of red bumps that gradually grows larger and becomes itchy. When fungal infections occur, they can then reach all areas of the body. Although fungal infections occur mainly in children, it can also infect adults who are exposed to risks, with nail fungal infections being the most common in adults. Those of you who had nail fungal infections, or any other fungus, know that fungal infections are difficult to treat. In this onehowto.com article, we will explain you why fungal infections occur and are so difficult to treat.
Humidity is the environment in which skin fungus proliferates. If your skin is humid for a long time because of sweating in summer or because at the pool you stay wet for too long, fungal infection rash can occur in various parts of our body.
Poor hygiene can lead to fungal infections. If you do not wash your hair frequently fungal infections might occur on the scalp. The same applies to the rest of the body. Not washing hands frequently, for example, can lead to nail fungal infections. Cleaning your skin properly is a form of prevention. Once fungal infection occur, they are very difficult to treat, and improving your hygiene will not easily solve the problem.
You can be infected by someone else who had fungal infections. Being in contact with the skin of people who have fungal infection rash can happen if you practice sports or simply by sharing everyday objects with an infected person. Fungi live on clothing, hair brushes, shower or pool surfaces.
Nail fungal infections and feet fungal infections are among the most common. Onehowto explains you how to spot a feet fungal infection.
A poor immune system can make it easier for fungal infections to occur. Your immune system might be weakened by antibiotics, poor diet or specific diseases. Since fungal infections are difficult to treat, with a poor diet the body will not be able to cope with the appearance of fungi. Stress and anxiety also make it more difficult to treat fungal infections.
Now, why are fungal infections so difficult to treat? Here are the main 3 reasons why we cannot get rid of them easily:
- Fungus is different from bacteria. While bacteria can be easily killed by antibiotics, fungi need stronger treatments that can potentially be harmful to humans as well. Because of their similarities with humans, fungi are difficult to treat.
- Fungal infections can survive treatment by changing their nature and creating treatment resistant species. However aggressive the treatment, they might be able to survive.
- Since fungal infections occur often in people with weakened immune system, they have less ability to fight them, which makes it more difficult to treat fungal infections.
Since it is so difficult to treat fungal infections, prevention is very important:
- Thoroughly dry your skin after baths or excessive sweating. Try not to wear tight or synthetic clothes to prevent fungal infections rash.
- Wash clothes frequently with very hot water if you have been in contact with an infected person.
- Wear shoes or flip flops at the swimming pools, saunas and gym.
- Do not share items such as shoes or towels to prevent fungal infections on skin.
- Eat a healthy diet and drink two litres a day of water.
Although fungal infections are difficult to treat, treatment measures are generally very simple to follow:
- Dry skin thoroughly every time you shower or sweat. Do not let humidity proliferate and fungus collect, especially under the nails, in order to prevent the very common nail fungal infections.
- You can use creams that are specific for fungi containing clotrimazole, miconazole or ketoconazole.
- If the infection persists, under the supervision of a doctor you can take specific medications.
- As a natural remedy you can apply aloe vera in the infected area. It will relieve the fungal infection rash, especially if it itches.
This article is merely informative, oneHOWTO does not have the authority to prescribe any medical treatments or create a diagnosis. We invite you to visit your doctor if you have any type of condition or pain.
If you want to read similar articles to Why Fungal Infections Occur and Are So Difficult to Treat, we recommend you visit our Diseases & secondary effects category.