What Can I Take to Stop Diarrhea Naturally: Herbs
Diarrhea is a fairly common digestive problem which can be incredibly uncomfortable and annoying. Whether due to indigestion or other digestive problems, the fact is that diarrhea is not fun and can really interfere with your daily routine. But, how can you treat diarrhea naturally? Well, keep reading to find out.
Here at OneHOWTO we list the top 18 medicinal plants for diarrhea. These teas and infusions for diarrhea can help naturally relieve this common stomach problem. Bear in mind that if your diarrhea is recurrent or lasts several days, you should consult a doctor as soon as possible as it could be indicative of another health problem.
- Diarrhea: causes
- Herbs for diarrhea
- Herbal remedies for diarrhea: peppermint
- Herbs for diarrhea: cinnamon
- Herbal remedies for diarrhea: agrimonia
- Herbs for diarrhea: chamomile
- Herbs for chronic diarrhea: thyme
- Herbs for diarrhea: fennel
- Medicinal plant for diarrhea: cattail
- Home remedies for diarrhea: blueberry leaves
- diarrhea home remedy: black tea
- Diarrhea: home remedies
Diarrhea is a clear indication that something is not quite right in the body. Diarrhea refers to an increase in bodily depositions and in a decrease in its consistency, sometimes becoming completely liquefied. The main causes of diarrhea include:
- Food poisoning.
- Viral infection.
- Bacterial infection.
- Factors such as stress, nerves and anxiety.
- Medication side effect.
For more, we recommend reading our article where we look at what to do when you have food poisoning.
Most of the time, home remedies for diarrhea are effective in calming both the frequency of bowel movements and their side effects, such as gas, pain and stomach spasms. However, if your diarrhea lasts longer than one or two days, we recommend consulting your doctor.
Herbs for diarrhea
Plants are usually very effective in treating a variety of health problems, such as diarrhea. There is a great diversity of medicinal plants that can help to combat diarrhea and relieve its symptoms. So if you’re wondering, what can I take to stop diarrhea? The herbs for diarrhea are for you:
- Black tea.
- Blueberry leaves.
- Mastic tree.
In addition the the above mentioned herbs for diarrhea, we have listed infusion and tea for diarrhea recipes below. Drink these to help calm your diarrhea!
For more, you may find our following article helpful: the best herbal teas for constipation.
Herbal remedies for diarrhea: peppermint
Spearmint or Mentha spicata is known for its analgesic, anti-inflammatory and antispasmodic properties. Spearmint is incredibly efficient in decreasing the duration of diarrhea considerably. A spearmint infusion is one of your best bets in ridding yourself of diarrhea:
- 4 small branches of mint.
- ½ liter of water
- Place the spearmint branches in ½ liter of water.
- Boil over low heat without for about 5 minutes.
- Remove the pot from the heat, let it rest for 5 more minutes and drink.
You can consume the infusion of both warm or cold, 3 times a day.
Herbs for diarrhea: cinnamon
The Cinnamomum verum plant is well known throughout the world for its great medicinal properties and culinary use. Cinnamon carries aperitif, digestive, carminative, antispasmodic, antiviral, antiseptic, astringent, sudorific, stimulating and calorific properties. This is mainly thanks to the fact that it contains essential cinnamon oil, with cinnamaldehyde and eugenol, coumarins, carbohydrates, mucilages and tannins.
Preparing an infusion of cinnamon for diarrhea is very simple:
Mix in equal parts:
- Cinnamon powder.
- Lemon Balm.
Use one tablespoon of this mixture for every 250 ml of water.
- Heat the indicated water amount and when add the mixture of medicinal plants for diarrhea when boiled.
- Remove quickly from heat and let it sit for 15 minutes.
- Drink a hot cup after the main meals.
For more about cinnamon tea, we recommend reading our article where we list all the health benefits of cinnamon tea.
Herbal remedies for diarrhea: agrimonia
The Agrimonia eupatoria L. is another of the best astringent plants for diarrhea. Its astringent, antidiarrheal, hemostatic, healing, anti-inflammatory and antiallergic properties offer great health benefits. This is in addition to reducing and relieving intestinal cramps, flatulence, indigestion and, in itself, diarrhea. Drink this Agrimonia tea for diarrhea:
- 1 teaspoon of Agrimonia flowers and dry leaves.
- ½ liter of water.
- Add a teaspoon of dried Agrimonia flowers and leaves in ½ liter of boiling water.
- Let it boil for 15 minutes, turn off the heat and let it rest for 10 more minutes.
- Strain the infusion and drink 2 warm or cold cups a day, after eating.
Herbs for diarrhea: chamomile
The prodigious chamomile plant (Chamomilla recutita L.) has antispasmodic and digestive properties, among many others. Drinking chamomile tea can help relieve stomach pains, diarrhea and/or vomiting. This is, without a doubt, one of the best options of herbal tea for diarrhea:
- 1 tablespoon dried chamomile leaves.
- 1 cup of water.
- Boil the water.
- Add the dried chamomile leaves as the water is about to boil.
- Let the infusion rest for 5 minutes, strain and let it cool.
Drink 2 or 3 cups of chamomile tea a day and add a teaspoon of honey to add some sweetness. For more about this famous plant, read our article where we list all the health benefits of chamomile.
Herbs for chronic diarrhea: thyme
Thyme (Thymus vulgaris L.) has astringent, digestive, antispasmodic and anti-inflammatory properties, a perfect medicinal plant to treat diarrhea! Preparing a thyme infusion for diarrhea is very easy:
- 2 branches of fresh thyme.
- 1 cup of water.
- Boil the water and add the fresh thyme branches as it’s about to boil.
- Let it boil for a maximum of 2 minutes and remove from heat.
- Let it rest for 10 more minutes, strain the water and enjoy its lovely flavor and benefits!
If you love thyme as much as we do, you’ll love our article where we list the benefits and properties of thyme.
Herbs for diarrhea: fennel
Fennel is anti-inflammatory medicinal herb that can help to immediately relieve diarrhea discomfort. Fennel known also as Foeniculum vulgare has digestive, appetitive, carminative and antispasmodic properties. Prepare this fennel infusion for diarrhea by following these simple steps:
- 1 spoonful of fennel leaves.
- 1 cup of water.
- Place the water on the fire and as soon as it begins to boil, add some fennel leaves.
- Let boil 2 minutes and remove from heat.
- Let it rest, strain it and drink it. You can accompany it with natural sweetener like Stevia, or a teaspoon of honey.
For more about how to treat digestive problems with tea, read about the best teas to relieve gases.
Medicinal plant for diarrhea: cattail
Cattail is a digestive anti-inflammatory able to relieve gastrointestinal spasms. In addition, has antibacterial properties, which can help treat diarrhea.
You can drink it in a simple infusion of just water and cattail to drink 3 times per day, after soft meals. Or, you can prepare an tea infusion specifically for diarrhea and gastritis:
- Tea plant.
- 1/2 tablespoon of fennel seeds..
Prepare a 20 g of mixture of these herbs (leaves and flowers) in equal parts and use 1 tablespoon for each cup of water that is made. Set aside the fennel seeds.
- Boil the water and then add the fennel seeds.
- Once the water boils with the seeds, spoon in the rest of the herbs.
- Stir and let boil 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat and cover to rest for 10 minutes.
- Strain and drink.
You can drink up to 3 cups a day after meals to help relieve indigestion and diarrhea.
Home remedies for diarrhea: blueberry leaves
This blueberry leaf infusions for diarrhea is very effective. Blueberry leaves (Vaccinium myrtillus L.) are antidiarrhoeal, astringent, anti-inflammatory and antiseptic. Prepare an infusion of blueberry leaves for diarrhea following this recipe:
- 1 tablespoon of blueberry leaves.
- 1 cup of water.
- Place a cup of water to boil and add the blueberry leaves as soon as it starts boiling.
- Allow it to boil for 2 minutes.
- Let the infusion stand for 5 minutes and strain before drinking it.
Drink this blueberry tea for diarrhea 3 times a day. Are you suffering from the opposite of diarrhea, constipation? If so, you may find our following article useful: natural constipation remedies.
diarrhea home remedy: black tea
Because of its concentration of tannin, black tea (Camellia sinensis) is a powerful astringent that helps to normalize natural intestine functioning that are altered by diarrhea. In addition, we recommend that you continue drinking this tea even if your diarrhea remits as it aids gastric mucosa recovery.
You can prepare black tea for diarrhea by:
- 1 teaspoon of black tea.
- 1 cup of water.
- Boil the water.
- Add one teaspoon of black tea once the water boils.
- Let it boil for 3 minutes, turn off the heat and let it rest for 5 more minutes.
- Strain the liquid and drink it 3 times a day.
Discover the benefits of black tea here!
Diarrhea: home remedies
Besides the use of medicinal plants for diarrhea, there are other diarrhea home remedies which are incredibly effective:
- Diarrhea can result in an excessive loss of water in the body, so we recommend that to drink plenty of water, but no more than 2 liters a day.
- Boiled carrots are ideal in replacing lost minerals in the body as well as restoring intestinal flora. Boil the carrots and blend well into a puree with water.
- Banana, in addition to providing vitamin C, also contains great minerals which can help relieve diarrhea. Eat bananas to help you replenish lost electrolytes.
- Lemons for diarrhea help relieve symptoms. Add a few drops of lemon into any of the above herbal teas for diarrhea and reap the benefits!
If your are pooping blood or pus, if your diarrhea is yellow or green or if there are any other noticeable symptoms we recommend contacting your doctor (especially before drinking any of these plants).
For more read: yellow stools - causes and treatment.
This article is merely informative, oneHOWTO does not have the authority to prescribe any medical treatments or create a diagnosis. We invite you to visit your doctor if you have any type of condition or pain.
If you want to read similar articles to What Can I Take to Stop Diarrhea Naturally: Herbs, we recommend you visit our Diseases & secondary effects category.
- Cebrián, J., (2012), Diccionario de plantas medicinales, Barcelona, España, Integral RBA Libros.