How To Reduce Eye Pressure Naturally
Eye Pressure is caused by a build-up of eye fluid. This can be the trigger for a disease known as glaucoma. This condition causes a deterioration in nerve fibres of the eye, a situation that if not addressed early can lead to blindness. To avoid this it is recommendable to lower the eye pressure. This can be achieved with a change in our eating habits and daily routine. In OneHowTo.com we explain how to reduce eye pressure effectively and so guarantee your ocular health.
If you have been diagnosed with glaucoma it is very important that you follow your doctor's instructions and take medication to reduce eye pressure. Although some changes in habits and natural solutions can help to decrease eye pressure, only medical treatment can fully control this, thus avoiding the degeneration of nerve fibres and blindness.
Glaucoma is common in patients suffering from diabetes and hypertension. This is because the increased levels of blood glucose and high blood pressure also increase eye pressure. Following a proper diet is very important if you have high eye pressure. The key is to lower your insuline levels, as if these rise it causes blood pressure to increase.
Therefore it is recommended:
- Reduce consumption of fats and fried foods. Pastries, sweets and junk food should be kept to a minimum.
- Reduce the level of salt in meals. A low-salt diet will help you maintain controlled blood and eye pressure.
- Add to your diet green leafy vegetables like spinach and broccoli and also fruits. These are very beneficial because of their vitamin and antioxidant content. Foods rich in vitamin A, such as carrots, must not be missing from your meals as they help to maintain the health of our eyes.
- Avoid stimulants such as coffee, alcohol or soda; due to their ingredients such beverages increase eye pressure and may aggravate the problem.
- Eat foods rich in vitamin C, vitamin E and omega-3 products as these nutrients strengthen the optic nerves, reducing the deterioration caused by this condition.
To reduce eye pressure it is very important to stop leading a sedentary lifestyle and instead do physical activity at least 3 times a week for 30 minutes. Running, walking, swimming, cycling or aerobic exercise is very beneficial to maintain the eye pressure in check, this will also help to lower blood pressure and protect the health of our heart.
Reduce stress levels, this is essential if you want to reduce eye pressure. Stress can cause blood and eye pressure to rise and this will affect patients with glaucoma. For this it is recommended that you organize your daily routine so it is the calmest possible and also practice activities to decrease stress such as yoga, pilates, tai-chi or cardiovascular exercises like those mentioned above which are ideal for draining stress.
In addition to these recommendations there are two known home remedies to reduce eye pressure which, together with the medication, a balanced diet and some exercise, will help prevent eye damage caused by glaucoma.
One is infusing fennel and drinking this twice a day or taking ginkgo biloba in drops, capsules or also as an infusion. These alternatives will complement the drugs and other recommendations.
By making changes in your diet and routine and following the suggestions of your doctor you can lower eye pressure and maintain good ocular health.
This article is merely informative, oneHOWTO does not have the authority to prescribe any medical treatments or create a diagnosis. We invite you to visit your doctor if you have any type of condition or pain.
If you want to read similar articles to How To Reduce Eye Pressure Naturally, we recommend you visit our Diseases & secondary effects category.