Safe Home Remedies for Sore Throat during Pregnancy
Pregnant women should take maximum care of their health, especially because their immune system undergoes changes and may become more vulnerable to lurking viruses and germs causing, for example, common conditions like colds or flu. When you have them in pregnancy, there is an added risk for the baby's health and it is therefore vital to see a doctor as soon as possible to find out about the most appropriate treatment.
A sore throat is among the symptoms of the common cold. This is a very irritating condition that affects your well-being and prevents you from, among other things, eating or swallowing food and drinks easily. In order to calm discomfort like this and protect your health and that of your baby at the same time, in the next oneHOWTO article we show you in detail the best safe home remedies for sore throat during pregnancy.
If you suffer from a sore throat during pregnancy, it is very likely for this symptom to be accompanied by others common cold signs, such as a cough, nasal congestion, headache or a slight temperature. In this situation, it is best to consult your doctor as soon as possible to find out what is the best treatment to follow so that you don't endanger your health and, especially, the baby's health.
It is not advisable to take non-prescription medication, as there are many medications that may contain substances which are harmful to the fetus. The drug that is normally recommended for treating colds in pregnancy is Paracetamol - an analgesic and antipyretic that relieves cold symptoms and helps reduce fever. Also, it should always be your doctor who recommends it to you and follow the instructions carefully that the doctor gives you in terms of dose and duration of treatment.
Lemon and honey during pregnancy
One of the most popular home remedies for sore throat during pregnancy and get back to your good health, you can resort to some natural remedies that will help reduce discomfort, inflammation and irritation. And one of the most effective is to take a substance made of hot water, lemon and honey, which is also ideal to regain strength and find more energy. Just heat a cup of water, add a teaspoon of honey, another of lemon juice, mix well and drink it once it is warm.
Discover many more details about this natural remedy in the article How to prepare lemon with honey to relieve my sore throat.
Honey and milk during pregnancy
If you didn't like the previous drink, you can also add about two teaspoons of honey to a glass of warm milk and have it preferably just before going to bed, since in this way it will help you relax and rest at night. Drinking milk is especially recommended during the third trimester, so consider this home remedy if you have a sore throat and this is your case. Natural juices rich in vitamin C, like orange, mango, papaya or kiwi, are also recommended. As they contain high amounts of this nutrient, they increase our defenses, which is essential to fight viruses and bacteria.
Gargling for a sore throat
Gargling is a popular remedy to get rid of sore throat pain, which you can also do if you're pregnant. If you only have discomfort in the area, without any other symptoms of cold or flu, one of the most effective pregnancy-related sore throat remedies is gargles. You can gargle with:
- Water and salt: the warm water will reduce the inflammation while the salt helps to clean the area, reduces the presence of bacteria and decrease the pain, making it an excellent solution.With this natural treatment, the active ingredients of the natural products we use go directly on the inflamed and irritated area so that there is immediate improvement. You'll just need to add a teaspoon of salt to a glass of warm water. Gargle with the salted mixture several times a day.
- Water and thyme: If you prefer to avoid gargling with salt, you can choose thyme instead. This plant is ideal to clear our airways, reduce nasal congestion and fight the presence of bacteria, as it is an excellent natural antiseptic. Gargling with this plant is very easy, just boil a glass of water and, once it has reached the boiling point, turn off the heat and add a tablespoon of dry thyme. Cover the mixture and let stand for 10 minutes, then strain the liquid and wait until it is warm to gargle with the mixture. Repeat 3 or 4 times a day and you will see how the discomfort is reducing.
In the event that your sore throat is accompanied by nasal congestion and difficulty breathing properly, you can alleviate this condition in pregnancies by inhaling steam. We advise you to consult the article How to cure a cold with herbal steam treatment and follow the instructions to carry them out properly.
Ginger and lemon tea for a healthy immune system
In moderate amounts, ginger can be consumed during pregnancy and some studies even indicate that it helps relieve the nausea and discomfort of pregnancy, as well as being an excellent digestive product. However, this root is among the home remedies for sore throat in pregnancy due to its anti-inflammatory properties, which help to calm the swelling that occurs in the throat when we experience this discomfort.
Moreover, it also helps get rid of mucus, fights bad bacteria and helps to fight against your cold. If combined with lemon, which is rich in vitamin C, we will be drinking the perfect tea to get rid of the discomfort that is affecting our throat.
To make this tea boil 1 liter of water and, when it reaches its boiling point, add several pieces of ginger root, previously peeled and chopped, always making sure that the amount does not exceed 10 grams, which is the maximum daily amount recommended during pregnancy. Serve in a cup and add the juice of half a lemon, you can drink 3 cups a day.
In addition to using these natural treatments to relieve a sore throat, it will be essential that you take extreme care of your health during pregnancy to prevent colds and other viral infections that may compromise your well-being and that of your baby. Thus, it is very important that:
- You should follow a balanced and healthy diet which includes many vitamins by eating foods like fruits and vegetables. Here are some healthy dinner ideas while pregnant if you're struggling.
- Stay hydrated by drinking plenty of water and increasing your fluid intake if you have a cold.
- Slightly hot drinks are ideal to reduce a sore throat, although it is important that you do not burn or irritate this already sensitive area. In addition to the recommended teas, you can also take chicken soup, vegetable broths or vegetable soups, which will help reduce the discomfort.
- Try to rest well and sleep as much as you can, as this will help your body recover.
- Get regular check-ups so that you are always aware that your health and that of the fetus is adequate.
If after 3 days with a sore throat the discomfort has not improved, visit a doctor. It may be an infection that requires the use of antibiotics, and only a specialist will be able to tell you the safest alternatives for your condition and the right dosage that will not affect the baby's health.
This article is merely informative, oneHOWTO does not have the authority to prescribe any medical treatments or create a diagnosis. We invite you to visit your doctor if you have any type of condition or pain.
If you want to read similar articles to Safe Home Remedies for Sore Throat during Pregnancy, we recommend you visit our Family health category.
- Sripramote, Manit, and Nol Lekhyananda. "A randomized comparison of ginger and vitamin B6 in the treatment of nausea and vomiting of pregnancy." Journal of the Medical Association of Thailand= Chotmaihet thangphaet 86.9 (2003): 846-853.