How to Deal with Asthma Naturally
Asthma is a chronic lung disease which causes severe breathing problems due to the obstruction of airflow in the lungs. It can be of two types: acute and chronic. People who don’t have a good understanding of the disease become fearful and anxious when they can’t breathe properly. A thorough understanding will help them take the right medication and precautions to prevent asthma from deteriorating. Medication along with the following natural remedies will help relieve an asthmatic person. Keep reading this oneHOWTO article to find out how to deal with asthma naturally.
Traditional ways of treating asthma
People who suffer from asthma find it hard to breathe because their airways are inflamed. This happens because the ducts that provide air to the body narrow. This is due to an external stimulus that may be an allergy, a cold or a more serious condition. The most traditional way of treating asthma is by administering medicines which you can find at a pharmacy. The ones that are indicated for treating this condition are anti-inflammatories and bronchodilators:
- Anti-inflammatories: this pharmacological treatment reduces bronchial inflammation and therefore makes it easier to breathe. They can be taken in Ventolin inhalers, in pills or injected into a vein for the most serious asthma attacks.
- Bronchodilators: As its name suggests, drugs from this group are intended to increase (dilate) the diameter of the bronchi and allow air to enter the body more easily. The usual way to take this type of medication is with Ventolin because it makes it easier for air to reach the lungs.
In the event of asthma due to allergies, treatment will be accompanied by an antihistamine to reduce symptoms of the allergy. Although it does not serve in any way to improve the asthma attack.
Natural remedies for asthma
Besides these medical treatments, there are natural remedies for asthma that help to control the asthma attacks that hinder your airways.
Ginger for asthma prevention
Ginger, the humble root can be found in every kitchen. As indispensable as it is for food, it also helps in treating a number of diseases, asthma being one of them. Ginger helps in inhibiting airway contraction and also reduces airway inflammation.For best results you can simply consume slices of fresh raw ginger along with some salt. If you don’t like its raw taste then mix its juice with pomegranate juice and honey and consume it 2 to 3 times a day. A simple ginger tea can also be beneficial for people suffering from an asthma attack that don't have an inhaler to hand.
Omega - 3 fatty acids
Omega – 3 fatty acids are found in fish like salmon, mackerel and tuna. They are extremely beneficial if you want to deal with asthma naturally, as they work in the same way as drugs called leukotriene inhibitors. Similar to this drug, omega – 3 fatty acids help in stopping the body compounds which cause inflammation in the airways. Thus, helping in preventing a possible asthma attack.You can get your daily dose by consuming fresh salmon, mackerel or tuna. Or just take six 1000 milligrams of omega – 3 fatty acid capsules in a day. As always, it is best to consult your doctor before taking these capsules.
Garlic for asthma
Garlic is beneficial for people who are in early stages of asthma. Garlic can clear lung congestion and thus help such people breathe freely. Simply boil 2 to 3 cloves of garlic in a quarter cup of milk. You can use any plant based milk too. Cool it to room temperature, strain it and then drink the concoction for relief.
Cloves are used as a spice in most households and are very beneficial for treating asthma naturally. In half a glass of water, put 5 to 6 cloves and then bring them to boil. You can also add a spoonful of honey in it. After some time, take the concoction off the heat, strain it and consume it twice a day.
Aloe vera to treat asthma
Aloe vera steam can help to reduce asthma because it also has anti-inflammatory properties. For immediate relief, mix a tablespoon of pure aloe vera gel in boiling water and inhale the steam. The combined effects of Acemannan, Aloin, and enzymes like Bradykinase, have anti-inflammatory, immune-stimulating and reparative effects on the inflamed internal tissue.
Turmeric, the yellow powder spice is used in most Asian households during cooking. It is known for its anti-inflammatory properties. It helps in inhibiting the compounds that cause inflammation in the airway of lungs.Take a cup of warm milk and mix a teaspoonful of turmeric powder in it. Drink this concoction 3 times a day.
Honey for asthmatics
The most effective and the oldest natural cure of asthma is honey. The ethereal oils and alcohol in honey reduces the symptoms of asthma. Sometimes just inhaling the aroma of honey brings relief to people suffering from asthma. Or you can mix a teaspoonful of honey in half a glass of hot water and consume it two to three times a day for relief.
How to prevent asthma attacks
Now you know some ways to treat asthma. However, it is important to know how to prevent these attacks by taking into account a number of key factors. These will help you prevent asthma as much as possible.
- Careful with pollen. If you are allergic to pollen, during spring you'll almost certainly have asthma attacks repeatedly. You can avoid this by not going to places with lots of flowers and vegetation. Stay away from parks or natural areas. However, if this is not possible, you can also prevent pollen from getting in your eyes by putting on some sunglasses, closing car windows and keeping the windows of your house closed.
- Use anti-allergy materials on your sheets and towels. In this way the environment where you live won't trigger your asthma.
- Figure out which factors cause your asthma. Whether it is the smoke from a cigarette, damp, when you walk into a room full of dust, etc. Knowing the origin of your asthma will help to control the attacks.
- Don't smoke as it may block your airways and make your asthma worse. At oneHOWTO we can help you give up smoking.
- Practice frequent exercise but bear some aspects in mind. For example, avoid places of high humidity. It is best to go to the gym or a closed space to avoid external factors that can trigger your asthma. Do not exercise too hard and always carry a bronchodilator.
If you found this article useful, you may be interested in why does asthma get worse at night?
This article is merely informative, oneHOWTO does not have the authority to prescribe any medical treatments or create a diagnosis. We invite you to visit your doctor if you have any type of condition or pain.
If you want to read similar articles to How to Deal with Asthma Naturally, we recommend you visit our Diseases & secondary effects category.