How To Quit Smoking Cigarettes Naturally
Do you want to quit smoking but do not know how to achieve this? In addition to your will power there are some tricks that can help you naturally deal with anxiety after quitting smoking without harming your body. Thanks to their composition, certain herbs and ingredients lessen the urge for a cigarette and help overcome withdrawal. They are the perfect as a complement to accomplish your goal and finally kick the habit. In this OneHowTo article we reveal how to quit smoking cigarettes naturally.
If you want to quit smoking naturally you need to know that ginseng will help you achieve this. This is one of the most effective plants to overcome this addiction as it inhibits the release of dopamine, the brain transmitter responsible for providing the feeling of pleasure provoked by nicotine. So, with this plant you will no longer get pleasure from cigarettes and therefore you will not feel like smoking.
To incorporate this treatment you should know that the most common way to take it is by infusion, but if you prefer you can purchase tablets in a shop specialized in natural products.
Another remedy to help you quit smoking naturally is ginger. Among all the properties of ginger we find one that helps by keeping anxiety within reasonable levels and regulates the digestive system preventing nausea.
As it happens with ginseng, the best way to enjoy the benefits of this plant is by preparing a root infusion, but if you are not into infusions you can also take tablets or mix the ginger when cooking. If you don't know how to make it, at OneHowTo we show you how to make ginger tea with fresh or ground ginger.
However, the most popular plant used in therapies to stop smoking is lobelia. This ingredient helps fight the addiction to cigarettes and reduces the anxiety that is felt when quitting. Indeed, many chemical drugs have lobelia as their main ingredient.
Lobelia has a special effect on ex-smokers as, should you fall into temptation and smoke a cigarette, you will feel nausea and dizziness that over time will make you feel disgusted with cigarettes. The best way to take this plant is by preparing an infusion, although it can also be taken as a droplet to the tongue of lobelia extract taken when you feel the urge to smoke. However, at OneHowTo we recommend you consult a specialist because it can become toxic if taken in excess.
St John's wort is also a remedy to quite smoking that works to perfection. Primarily, this herb is indicated for treating depression as it helps to improve the mood and reduce anxiety. You will find it available in specialist shops as an extract, in juices or ampoules though you can also make a tea and drink it through the day.
It must be prescribed by a specialist as it can be toxic if taken in large amounts and it is contraindicated in individuals taking antidepressants, contraceptives or women who are pregnant or breast-feeding.
Cayenne pepper also helps to reduce the urge to smoke while also improving the health of our lungs thanks to its antioxidant properties. There are different ways to take this type of pepper:
- Cooking dishes containing half a teaspoon of cayenne pepper will reduce the temptation of smoking a cigarette.
- When you feel like smoking, put a little of this spice on your tongue and see immediately how your craving disappears.
One of the best treatments to reduce the anxiety caused by stopping smoking is and deal with its associated stress is that every night before you go to bed you drink a Valerian root infusion. You will feel more relaxed and learn to control your nerves, besides enjoying a pleasant sleep.
Valerian is very beneficial for your health because it:
- Reduces nerves and stress thanks to its soothing effect
- Promotes deeper sleep, thus avoiding insomnia
- It acts as a natural antidepressant
- It neutralises changes in mood making you more lively and optimistic
Besides these natural remedies, to quit must do a series of lifestyle changes that will prevent you falling back into temptation. Here we detail some of the most significant:
- Your willpower will be your best ally, so you have to be sure about the reasons for which you want to quit and never forget them. Write them down on paper and keep them in a visible place in your home to remember them every day. Quitting smoking only depends on you.
- Keep your mind distracted and avoid thinking about cigarettes. Start learning something new, be encouraged to socialize with other people, sign up to the gym, and so on. It is important to change your routine to stay focused on things other than cigarettes.
- Quit immediately, do not believe that reducing consumption will be the key to stopping. It is best to have a 'cold turkey' approach and stop suddenly.
This article is merely informative, oneHOWTO doe not have the authority to prescribe any medical treatments or create a diagnosis.We invite you to visit your doctor if you have any type of condition or pain.
If you'd like to read similar articles to How To Quit Smoking Cigarettes Naturally, we recommend you browse around our Mental health category.