How to Avoid Type 2 Diabetes Naturally
Type 2 diabetes can be avoided if you start adopting preventative measures now. Even though type 2 diabetes often occurs as a result of excessive weight gain, obesity or a sedentary lifestyle, its development is not due solely to food. Whether you develop type 2 diabetes will also be influenced by other factors such as a genetic predisposition. Luckily there are some everyday natural preventative measures that you can adopt to avoid developing this type of diabetes. This OneHowTo article will offer you some points to consider and take into account to avoid type 2 diabetes by following a few tips:
Try to follow a healthy and balanced diet which also includes fruit, vegetables, cereals, lean proteins and dairy products. This Healthy Eating Plate diagram by Harvard provides a visual guide for the different types of foods and portions you should be eating on a daily basis to ensure you have a balanced diet.
Avoid eating fast foods, ready-meals, fried foods and sugar based or soft drinks. All these foods are high in calories and therefore help the accumulation of kilos and becoming overweight. You also need to limit consumption of alcoholic beverages. Natural food will always trump processed foods when it comes to trying to prevent obesity and avoid diabetes.
Have an active lifestyle. Move, walk, play sports, play with your children, in short, anything that forces you to be on the move and to 'burn' energy. Any small detail that you change in this regard (e.g. taking the stairs instead of the lift, walking instead of taking transport, etc..) will help you control your weight and improve your overall health. If you sit at a desk all day at work, stand up every half an hour and complete 10 squats, just like in the diagram, to get the heart rate beating faster. Little by little, this will make a difference.
If you do not like sports you need not practice a sport as such, simply have a daily brisk walk, go jogging or play football with friends. At OneHowTo we have a huge range of fitness exercises for you to choose from.
Try to drink water before meals as it will help to reduce the feeling of hunger. Drinking water has many benefits, but if you're someone who struggles to gulp down their recommended daily 2L of water, this OneHowTo article on how to drink 2L of water a day will give you some handy tips.
With regard to food, there are some foods that will help prevent diabetes, including the following:
- Legumes and wholegrain pasta, breads and rice: They are all foods that contain sugars that the body absorbs slowly so they make glucose pass into the blood at a slower rate and so the level of blood sugar is kept lower.
- Vegetables contribute to the prevention of diabetes. They are foods with little fat and some of them help stimulate insulin production so their consumption is highly recommended in preventing diabetes.
- Foods rich in protein and low fat foods such as milk (preferably low-fat skimmed version). Check out the full list of foods rich in protein here.
- Regarding meat, lean meats with protein like chicken and turkey are the best options, but avoid cooking these fried or with sauces etc. Choose to grill or oven cook.
- Fish: Preferably fish rich in Omega-3 because it will help lower cholesterol and thus contribute to a better circulation of blood. Sardines, tuna, mackerel and salmon are fish suitable to include in a diet to prevent diabetes.
- Fruit: Fruits contain many vitamins and their consumption is always advisable. However, in the case of people with metabolic problems such as diabetes fruit consumption should be moderated.
This article is merely informative, oneHOWTO does not have the authority to prescribe any medical treatments or create a diagnosis. We invite you to visit your doctor if you have any type of condition or pain.
If you want to read similar articles to How to Avoid Type 2 Diabetes Naturally, we recommend you visit our Diseases & secondary effects category.
- Consult a specialist if you think you have type II diabetes.