How to Avoid Tired Eyes
Do you feel like your eyes become tired and sore throughout the day? This is a common symptom of people whose employment involves a lot of visual work, who manage to get little sleep or suffer from some type of vision problem. You should always visit an ophthalmologist at the first signs of eye strain. However, it is also wise to consider some tips which, in many cases, can help reduce such visits by preventing eye strain in the first place.
Check out the advice in this OneHowTo.com article which explains how to avoid tired eyes.
Tired eyes involve a range of symptoms such as sore eyes, heavy eyes, burning sensation, red eyes, blurred vision, teary eyes, sensitivity to light and even occasional headaches or muscular aches. Despite the fact that these are generally caused by subjecting your eyes to excessive visual work, it is important that you visit an ophthalmologist in the event that this condition is recurrent or is accompanied by other symptoms, as it could indicate another underlying health problem.
You should particularly consult an eye doctor if you have trouble seeing clearly or you have trouble viewing objects that are near or far away, as this could prevent severe visual problems in the future.
Insufficient sleep is one of the main causes of eye strain, as after you wake up you have to face the day with hours of sleep deprivation. You must bear in mind that your eyes need rest in order to recover energy just as the same as any other part of the body.
For this reason, you should sleep for at least 7 or 8 hours each night so you enjoy a good night's sleep and repair your eyes at the same time. This way, you'll wake up with a lot more vitality, your vision will have relaxed and you'll avoid excessively tiring your eyes throughout the day.
People who work at a computer on a daily basis suffer the most from eye strain. In order to avoid tired eyes, you should consider these recommendations detailed below:
- Place the computer screen directly in front of you, avoid placing it to one side. In addition, remove background objects which can be reflected in it.
- Place the screen so that it is at a 45° angle to your eye level. It will then be in the right position to prevent future neck or back problems.
- Adjust the contrast and brightness of the monitor, so that it is neither too bright nor dark, otherwise you'll be forced to squint.
- Look away from the computer screen for about 4 or 5 seconds on a regular basis. This simple gesture will allow you to relax your eyes and rest your vision.
- It is essential that you take breaks lasting 5 minutes every hour and take a longer break away from your computer every three hours. If possible, relax your eyes in an open space with natural light.
This last advice also applies to watching TV and using a tablet or smartphone. It's advisable to place your TV a safe distance away and to watch it with the light on so you don't strain your eye muscles and damage your vision.
Also, you should consider good eye habits when it comes to reading. Always try to read in good light and preferably take advantage of natural light. You should also avoid reading texts with fonts that are too small, whether in books or on your computer, mobile, tablet, etc. It is worth adjusting this aspect whenever possible.
Another small gesture to help prevent eye strain and improve your eye health is to blink often.Although it may seem trivial, this is really important for keeping your eyes well lubricated and also to avoid redness, irritation and light sensitivity. Be vigilant against staring for too long and even if you're watching or reading something very carefully, try to blink approximately every 10 seconds.
As well as the above, don't forget that a balanced diet is also a key requirement for maintaining good eye health and preventing the onset of eye diseases. There are certain things that you need to have in your daily diet if you want to enjoy healthy vision. These include vitamins A, B2, C, E and lutein, among others.
Further tips to help boost your visual health and help you to avoid eye strain are as follows:
- Protect your eyes from the sun by wearing dark sunglasses with a UV filter when you go out.
- Avoid touching your eyes with dirty hands and don't rub them when they feel uncomfortable, itchy or feel like they're burning.
- If you wear it, remove your eye makeup with a hypoallergenic product every night before going to bed.
- Practice techniques and relaxation exercises for your eyes.
- In the evening, you can indulge your eyes a little and relax them by placing on a compress soaked in chamomile, mallow or tea or by using a cold gel mask for a few minutes.
If you want to know more about maintaining healthy eyes, why not read our articles on Why Does My Eye Tremble? and How to Improve Eyesight Naturally at Home.
This article is merely informative, oneHOWTO does not have the authority to prescribe any medical treatments or create a diagnosis. We invite you to visit your doctor if you have any type of condition or pain.
If you want to read similar articles to How to Avoid Tired Eyes, we recommend you visit our Diseases & secondary effects category.