Home Remedies for Colitis
Colitis is an inflammation of the large intestine (colon). As happens with other conditions, such as anisocytosis, we can say that colitis is a symptom of other diseases rather than a pathology in itself. That is why treatment depends on the disease that causes it. This is also the case regarding the prognosis. However, there are natural remedies that can help prevent and / or treat inflammation of the colon, a condition that can cause much discomfort to the point of impacting our quality of life. In OneHowTo.com we show you some home remedies for colitis.
It is important to know what symptoms colitis causes. If you have one or several of these symptoms, you probably have an inflamed colon:
- Abdominal pain and swelling.
- Blood in stools or presence of mucus.
- Fever and / or chills.
- Nausea or vomiting.
- Constant need for bowel movements.
- Intestinal cramps.
Before further action and to ensure the home remedies take effect, there are some points you should keep in mind:
- Check your folic acid. Many patients with colitis are deficient in folic acid.
- Avoid drinking coffee, smoking, eating spicy foods and drinking fizzy drinks.
- Anxiety is one of the triggers of colitis so take it easy and control your stress levels.
Now you can apply the different home remedies for colitis. Take care of your colon and ensure your body's well-being.
Have you heard of acupressure? Acupressure consists in applying pressure with the fingers on certain points located on the soles of the feet, in the ear and on the palms of the hands. Thus it has beneficial results for our health similar to those of acupuncture.
Acupressure, like acupuncture, relaxes and relieves the intestines. This makes the pain go away or decrease quickly, it also improves our stools and allows intestinal mucosa to regain its function. To apply this method you will have to follow this step by step:
- Press with your thumb the point located between the index and forefinger.
- Also press the point that is in the abdomen, below the navel.
- Keep the pressure on these 3 points for 3 minutes.
Epsom salts are also beneficial to alleviate colitis. Most people are unaware of the fact that magnesium sulphate, found in Epsom salts, is absorbed through the skin. Epsom salts have anti-inflammatory properties and relieve the natural pain of our organism, in this case reducing the increase in water in the intestines and therefore helping to combat colitis.
Here is how to carry out this home Remedy for colitis:
- Mix 2 cups of Epsom salt with 2 cups of water.
- Dip a soft cloth in the mixture and put it on the abdomen.
- Place a bottle of hot water on top.
- Leave it for 3-4 hours.
Another method that can help reduce inflammation and remove toxins from the intestines are clay poultices in the belly area. To make this natural treatment you have to follow these steps:
- Mix clay with water (you get a mixture that you can spread).
- Apply it in the belly area.
- Cover with a gauze or handkerchief.
- Place a towel over it like a girdle.
- Leave for at least 1/2 hour (ideally overnight).
- Take it off with warm water when dry.
It is important to eat high-fibre foods and maintain a clean and healthy bowel. A diet rich in whole grain foods is ideal to treat colitis. But we must keep in mind that increasing fibre in the diet may cause constipation, so it is important that while we add fibre we drink more water. You should drink at least 6-10 glasses of water daily.
A condition that can have a direct impact on the intestine and which may generate the appearance of inflammation in the colon is intolerance to dairy. If you think that milk may be a cause of inflammation in your colon you can try to stop consuming dairy for a month (we must give our bodies enough time to completely eliminate it). If when reintroducing it to your diet you feel discomfort it would be appropriate that you no longer consume dairy products.
A very effective infusion for colon inflammation uses licorice root as this natural ingredient has antispasmodic and anti-inflammatory properties of the gastric mucosa. To prepare this tea, follow these steps:
- Take 1 tablespoon of dried root.
- Mash it in a glass of water.
- Take 2 tablespoons of this infusion every day.
This article is merely informative, oneHOWTO does not have the authority to prescribe any medical treatments or create a diagnosis. We invite you to visit your doctor if you have any type of condition or pain.
If you want to read similar articles to Home Remedies for Colitis, we recommend you visit our Healthy living category.
- It is recommended that faced with any discomfort that makes you suspect that you suffer from colitis, and / or some of the diseases associated with it, you visit your doctor. The doctor will diagnose you and decide whether it is necessary or not to take medication. The natural remedies will help improve colitis but in some cases they are merely complementary to a medical treatment.