The Best Natural Treatments for Scalp Psoriasis
Scalp psoriasis is a very common skin condition. Psoriasis is characterized by an itchy feeling accompanied sometimes by pain in the scalp. Psoriasis is caused by the skin regenerating in a period of days rather than the typical month. The skin multiplies too fast and it can become irritated, causing shedding skin that looks like dandruff.
The best way to treat psoriasis is by exposing the skin to the sun, but this becomes complicated when the psoriasis is found on the scalp, as it is very difficult that the sun reaches this area of the body. Therefore, this condition needs to be treated in other ways. The shampoo you use in this case is very important, and choosing one without chemicals and as natural as possible will make a great difference. In this oneHOWTO article you'll find different recipes to make the best natural treatments for scalp psoriasis.
Aloe vera mask
This mask will help you get rid of the redness and itchiness on your scalp, plus it will moisturize it and make your hair and scalp smell really good. This is also a great home remedy to treat face psoriasis.
- 1 or 2 tablespoons of aloe vera
- 1 drop of lavender, peppermint or tea tree oil
- Mix the aloe vera with the essential oil
- Massage the mixture into your scalp gently
- Let the treatment soak into your scalp for 30 minutes
- Shampoo your hair with gentle aloe vera shampoo or some other alternative to shampoo
Scalp psoriasis home treatment with baking soda
Baking soda, with its great antibacterial properties, is a great natural treatment for scalp psoriasis. Only applying baking soda won't clean your hair, but you can apply this treatment and then use a mild or natural shampoo to leave your hair completely clean. To use baking soda to treat scalp psoriasis:
- 1 tbsp baking soda
- 1 cup water
- Natural shampoo
- Mix 1 tablespoon of baking soda with 1 cup of water
- Mix well until the baking soda is disolved and apply to the scalp
- Let it act for a few minutes and rinse
- Wash your hair with a natural shampoo
Olive & peanut oil treatment
Using peanut oil on your scalp before applying shampoo is great to treat scalp psoriasis. Its oils contain fatty acids that are anti-inflammatory, which relieve the pain and itchiness. On the other hand, olive oil will provide vitamin A and E, as well as acting as a natural moisturizer that will help reduce the flakiness caused by scalp psoriasis. To prepare an olive & peanut oil treatment, follow these instructions:
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup peanut oil
- Combine the two ingredients and apply on your scalp
- Cover with a plastic shower cap or plastic bag
- Leave it sit for 30 minutes before applying shampoo
Saffron tea to rinse your hair
Herbal teas that contain chamomile or yellow saffron are perfect for promoting skin health. The fact is that saffron helps improve circulation in your scalp, thus helping blood flow. However, you can also prepare an infusion and apply it directly on your scalp.
- 2 teaspoons of yellow saffron
- 2 liters of hot water
- Put the yellow saffron in the water and steep for 20 minutes
- When cooled, strain and place in a spray bottle
- Use the mix as final rinse after shampooing
- Use it as many times throughout the day as you want (for instance, if the itching gets very uncomfortable)
Epsom salt for scalp psoriasis
Epsom salt baths are pretty popular when it comes to skin psoriasis. You should know that the benefits of this mineral can also be applied to the scalp too.
To treat scalp psoriasis at home, the first step is to prepare a bath with bath oils, Epsom salt and oatmeal. Soak in the water for at least 15 minutes. Do not use hot water, rather prepare a very hot bath. Harsh shampoos and conditioners that contain alcohol or perfume should be avoided as they can dry the scalp even more.
Another great home remedy for scalp psoriasis is to mix the same amount of water as apple cider vinegar and wash your hair with it. It's this simple.
Scalp psoriasis shampoo
Now you know about the best home remedies for scalp psoriasis, you should know that the help from pharmaceutical products can help speed up recovery, this is why we recommend using shampoos with ketoconazole.
Massage your scalp with ketoconazole shampoo for at least a total of five minutes. These shampoos help reduce dandruff. Consult your doctor before using this product as it may worsen some symptoms in people with sensitive skin. This is why there are other products such as coal tar and zinc prithione that may also help if ketoconazole is not recommended for you.
Scalp psoriasis diet
Apart from all of these useful home remedies for scalp psoriasis, there are also some dietary recommendations you can follow in order to get rid of the symptoms much faster. It's recommended that, if you are overweight, you get rid of those extra pounds in order to improve your condition, which is why it's recommended to get rid of 500 calories per day from your usual diet. Let's take a look the diet you should follow for scalp psoriasis.
- Get all the vitamins and nutrients you can by focusing on fruit and vegetables. Make sure you have plenty of them in each meal and you vary in types.
- Get rid of simple carbohydrates by eating whole grain products instead of full grain.
- Choose low-fat dairy if you must and try to exchange milk for other vegetable milks. Almond milk is highly recommendable, as the omega-3 in nuts will also help with scalp psoriasis.
- As mentioned above, omega-3 is very useful when treating psoriasis due to the amount of fatty oils it contains. The Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology recommends taking plenty of fish with high omega-3 content such as sardines, salmon or herring.
- Eggs are also a good source of omega-3, and are a great alternative if you are vegetarian and don't eat fish. Egg yolks are highly nutritious, though you shouldn't eat too much, as you should also take care of your cholesterol intake.
- Avoid red meat and eat lean meat instead. This includes turkey, chicken or veal.
- Drink plenty of water and avoid any type of fizzy and sugary drinks.
- You should also avoid pre-made food, which is full of saturated fats and sugars. This is also the reason why you should avoid sweets and industrial cookies.
- Remember you should avoid using excess salt when cooking too.
Tips to treat scalp psoriasis
Last but not least, at oneHOWTO we find it's highly important you also take the following tips into account in order to assure you recover perfectly well and quickly from scalp psoriasis. Read the following tips and make sure you follow them:
- The most important thing when treating scalp psoriasis is being very gentle with your scalp. You should never scratch it, even if it's itching, or remove the flakes, as this could create small wounds that could get infected. Treating the scalp gently will allow it to heal faster.
- Expose your scalp to a little sunlight. Too much sun can trigger outbreaks, but a small amount of sunlight can improve the psoriasis significantly.
- Apply corticosteroids or analogues of vitamin D before bedtime. These treatments can help remove scales. Your doctor may prescribe other products if necessary.
- For the best results, cover your head with a shower cap or plastic wrap to trap heat by your scalp while you sleep. Remove the head wrap and shower in the morning to remove the scales.
- Consult with your dermatologist if the methods listed above don't work and your psoriasis gets worse.
This article is merely informative, oneHOWTO does not have the authority to prescribe any medical treatments or create a diagnosis. We invite you to visit your doctor if you have any type of condition or pain.
If you want to read similar articles to The Best Natural Treatments for Scalp Psoriasis, we recommend you visit our Diseases & secondary effects category.