The Best Natural Laxatives
Do you suffer from constipation? When intestinal transit is not working properly, it is normal to feel uncomfortable and to have intense pain in the belly that often becomes swollen. To solve this problem you can use traditional medicine and take a laxative to help to clean you out or, if you prefer, you can opt for other homemade remedies that will also cleanse your body naturally. In this OneHowTo article you will discover the best natural laxatives that can be found both in food and medicinal herbs.
Fruits that act as laxatives
Among the best natural laxatives, fruit is one of the best. However, not all of them can do the job. There are some that are specifically indicated to treat this condition and so improve intestinal transit. Next, you'll discover the 3 best ones but if you want a more extensive list we invite you to read our article on fruit for constipation.
- Banana: this fruit is full of fibre, the essential nutrient that will help to fight constipation. Fibre regulates intestinal transit and cleanses the body naturally. However, banana is also rich in potassium, a nutrient that restores electrolytes in the intestinal tract and, therefore, improves its functioning.
- Kiwi: this is one of the most suitable kinds of fruit for overcoming constipation because it contains a lot of fibre but is also rich in actinidin, an enzyme that improves digestion and prevents gas formation. If you have a kiwi every morning, you'll quickly notice how going to the toilet becomes easier.
- Apple: it has a very high level of pectin, a component that can stimulate the intestines and therefore make our transit work better. It is also rich in fibre so you get a much more powerful effect. Eat an apple every day and you'll notice the difference.
Vegetables that are laxatives
Besides fruit, vegetables are also often high in fiber so they can help to regulate transit and treat constipation naturally. You should know that there are many vegetables that can function as natural laxatives but next you'll discover the 3 most effective ones.
- Artichoke: it is rich in mucilage and inulin, two components that combat constipation by stimulating the bowel muscles. By making this area work, you improve transit which makes it easier to go to the toilet. You can eat it in different ways: mixed with your recipes or, if you prefer, you can make a tea.For more ideas for laxative teas, take a look at our article on the best natural laxative teas.
- Broccoli and cauliflower: these two vegetables increase glucosinolates, a component that causes the liver to produce more enzymes which helps us to go to the toilet more regularly. Also, thanks to its fibre content, these two vegetables make stools softer so they come out easier.
- Carrot: by eating these vegetables we are consuming a lot of soluble fibre which can regulate our transit. It is best to add it to your dishes or eat it as a snack during the day.
Natural products for constipation
Besides food, you can also use natural products that have perfect components to promote transit. For example, aloe vera is a medicinal plant that has a lot of benefits and, among these, it's worth noting that it is considered to be one of the best natural laxatives. The reason is that it has a laxative capacity which improves regulation and makes the evacuation of stool easier. At OneHowTo you can discover the benefits of aloe vera juice in more detail.
Another ally for improving constipation is linseed because, as it is rich in fibre, it regulates transit but also regenerates intestinal flora and prevents fat from being absorbed by the intestine. To maximise these properties, the best thing is to prepare a tea with these seeds and drink it on an empty stomach when you wake up.
Chamomile is also one of the best teas for constipation as it will help to reduce the pain you may be feeling due to not going to the toilet regularly. You will also manage to expel accumulated gases. All this will cause the swelling of the abdomen to reduce and you'll feel better in no time.
If you often suffer from constipation, it is important that, in addition to consuming these natural laxatives that we've just told you about, you also increase your consumption of water and drink at least 2 litres a day. In this way you hydrate your digestive system and allow the movement of stool through the intestine.
You should also establish a routine for going to the toilet to get your body used to cleaning itself at certain times. Above all, do not hold in your bowel movements too much, as it could cause constipation and pain in the stomach. Try to get your body used to going to the toilet at certain times so have a fixed routine.
Physical exercise also helps to improve intestinal transit as it helps to maintain your body in optimal health, makes cells oxygenate, makes blood circulate throughout the body and, in general, makes all your organs work in a better way. Therefore, do some exercise 3-4 days a week to be healthy both inside and out.
At OneHowTo we'll give you more tips so you can fight constipation in a natural way.
This article is merely informative, oneHOWTO does not have the authority to prescribe any medical treatments or create a diagnosis. We invite you to visit your doctor if you have any type of condition or pain.
If you want to read similar articles to The Best Natural Laxatives, we recommend you visit our Diseases & secondary effects category.