How To Treat External Hemorrhoids
Hemorrhoids are caused due to an inflammation of the hemorrhoidal veins in the rectum. This inflammation occurs as a result of excessive pressure in the area. Depending on the how badly the veins are affected, the hemorrhoids can be external or internal. External hemorrhoids are located under the skin of the anus.
However common this this condition, it does make it less annoying, uncomfortable or painful. That is why it is important to know how to reduce this inflammation. In this oneHOWTO article we will tell you how to treat external hemorrhoids in order to decrease pain and discomfort.
Tips To Prevent Inflamed Hemorrhoids
Before explaining how to reduce hemorrhoid swelling, we will give you some tips on how to prevent this inflammation from happening in the first place. Generally, someone who suffers from inflamed hemorrhoids has already experienced this condition before, as it often repeats itself. Therefore it it important to maintain a lifestyle which helps keep these veins from becoming inflamed.
Hemorrhoids appear when certain conditions cause increased pressure in the perineal area. This pressure causes the hemorrhoidal veins to dilate. If this pressure can be avoided, in turn so will inflammation. Here are some tips:
- Drink at least 2 liters of water a day.
- Make sure that there are two times more fruit and vegetables in your diet than protein.
- Devote 5 minutes a day to defecating.
- Do not spend more than 45 minutes sitting or standing in a row.
- Avoid fats and spicy products.
- Eat enough fiber, in order to avoid constipation.
- Practice exercise on a regular basis.
Medications that help minimize hemorrhoid inflammation
There are many drugs that you can take to relieve inflammation and pain caused by hemorrhoids. It is essential, however, to visit always see your doctor before taking any type of medication. Common medications to treat hemorrhoid inflammation are:
- Corticosteroids: either in the form of suppositories or cream. These drugs are known to immediately relieve pain, stinging and inflammation.
- Lidocaine: normally used topically in the form of cream and aids in relieving pain.
- Medications that soften the stool help avoid excessive pressure when defecating.
- In addition to these drugs, there is a set of medical techniques and surgical procedures that help prevent hemorrhoids. Among these are ligature and extirpation, also known as: hemorrhoidectomy or infrared coagulation.
Home remedy to eliminate hemorrhoids- Chamomile
A chamomile plant has a lot of healing benefits that can be used daily to help treat different conditions. This plant is most commonly used to treat gastrointestinal problems. It can also aid in the reduction of hemorrhoid inflammation. Here are some treatments in which you can use chamomile to treat this condition;
- Seat bath: boil 2 liters of water and add a fist of chamomile flowers into the water. Let it rest for 20 minutes while water and chamomile infuse. Strain the liquid and pour it into a bidet or into a large container with warm water. Once ready you can sit, submerging the affected area for about 15 minutes. We recommend doing this daily until a decrease in pain is noticed.
- Chamomile infusion: make a normal infusion of chamomile and, once it has cooled, dip a clean gauze into the infusion and apply directly onto the hemorrhoid.
- Chamomile oil: Pour a few drops of chamomile oil on a piece of cotton or clean gauze and apply directly on the hemorrhoids. You can either buy or make this oil at home.
Natural anti-inflammatory for hemorrhoids: aloe vera
Another well known natural anti-inflammatory is aloe vera. Aloe vera, also known as sybil, decreases levels of; hemorrhoid inflammation, itching, stinging and pain.
Here are some ways you can use aloe vera to help decrease hemorrhoid inflammation:
- Aloe vera gel: you can this gel in pharmacies or make it at home. Apply a few drops of this gel on the hemorrhoid before you go to bed allowing it to take affect during the night.
- Aloe vera leaf: Cut a leaf of aloe vera and remove the pulp, apply its liquid directly onto the hemorrhoid to reduce inflammation.
- Aloe vera juice: Another natural way to reduce hemorrhoid inflammation is by ingesting aloe vera. Aloe vera juice functions as a laxative. This will help to prevent stools from hardening, in turn relieving pressure when defecating. However, be careful not to exceed your aloe vera intake. A high aloe vera ingestion can have adverse effects, such as: diarrhea and intestinal problems. It is also important to know that it is contraindicated for people with colitis, Crohn's syndrome, pregnant women and infants.
How to decrease hemorrhoid inflammation naturally
In addition to the above mentioned remedies, there are many other plants and natural ingredients which contain anti-inflammatory and sedative properties. These properties can be used to treat and reduce the inflammation of hemorrhoids. You can use them all in the same way, either in the form of a bath or topically, in the form of an infusion. The main products that serve to reduce inflammation of hemorrhoids are:
- Horse chestnut
Boil 1 liter of water, add a handful of your chosen plant, let it boil for 10 minutes so that the all benefits are well dissolved into the water. Once removed and cooled, apply with gauze or cotton, or take a bath with the mixture.
This article is merely informative, oneHOWTO does not have the authority to prescribe any medical treatments or create a diagnosis. We invite you to visit your doctor if you have any type of condition or pain.
If you want to read similar articles to How To Treat External Hemorrhoids, we recommend you visit our Diseases & secondary effects category.