How to Improve Cervical Mucus
Cervical mucus is a collection of proteins (glycoproteins), secreted by the cervical canal glands and located in the cervix. The purpose of this mucus is to block and protect the uterine cavity against pathogens. It also allows sperm to reach the egg, it also protects them from the acidity of the vagina; which in turn helps women get pregnant.
In other words, cervical mucus works like a mesh that relaxes and tightens itself according to the ovarian hormones: dense during your ovulation period (making the passage of spermatozoa impossible), permeable the rest of the time. The more consistent and good quality the mucus, the more likely a woman will become pregnant.
From this perspective, let's see how to improve cervical mucus naturally.
How to know the quality of your cervical mucus
First of all, you should know there is a Post Coitus Test (PCT) or Hühner test to evaluate the quality of the cervical mucus (amount of spermatozoa, acidity, absence of anti-sperm antibodies ...) and its compatibility with sperm. This test should be performed by a doctor during a woman's fertile period.
The quality of the cervical mucus is altered in the event of hormonal disorders (estrogen imbalance), infections or following the taking of certain drugs.
After this test, your doctor can prescribe a suitable medical treatment:
- Prescription pills (Clomid to stimulate the ovary)
- Hormone injection
- LRH pump (which delivers gonadorelin hormone)
Natural remedies for cervical mucus
Though you will always need to be supervised by your gynecologist, if you have been told your cervical mucus is too acid, it is recommended to perform vaginal douches, as they contain a neutralizing solution based on sodium bicarbonate. If the acidity persists, you may want to consider an Intra-Uterine Insemination i.e., the sperm is then introduced directly into the uterus.
However, there are also some natural remedies you can try in order to balance your acidity levels and improve cervical mucus:
Just as vaginal douches have sodium bicarbonate, there are other ways in which we can use baking soda for pregnancy at home to improve cervical mucus. Taking Vichy Celestine water can also help (due to its bicarbonate content).
In addition, you should also drink a lot of water and adding a teaspoonful of bicarbonate to it.
Evening primrose tablets
This plant is full of omega-6 fatty acids, which help increase the production of cervical mucous and help balance the acidity of it. You will find them in supermarkets (diet shelf), in para-pharmacies and pharmacies. Do not take more than 2 a day, this may cause you nausea.
Did you know that dandelion greens can also help your fertility? The properties of dandelion leaf will also help balance your hormones and level the pH of your cervical mucus. If you find it too bitter to drink, we advise you to take a look at our article on how to make dandelion greens less bitter.
Pineapple juice and grapefruit juice
These two fruits can help boost your cervical mucus quality thanks to their bromelain content that increases the blood that flows towards the uterus and favors implantation. Grapefruit also helps lower the acidic levels of the vaginal area and boosts cervical mucus production.
Add some chlorella powder to it in order to improve your immune system.
Royal Jelly & Manuka honey
Adding these two ingredients to your diet will help boost your immunity and balance your hormones, this is especially useful for women that are trying to get pregnant at an advanced age too. Take a look at our article on royal jelly for fertility for further information.
Lifestyle changes to improve cervical mucus
More generally, adopt a healthy lifestyle and your cervical mucus should improve significantly. Some tips you should follow:
- Have a healthy and balanced diet: This means getting rid of fatty foods, eating plenty of green leafy vegetables and eating lean meats and zinc-rich fish such as salmon. Take a look at the best foods to help you get pregnant for all of them.
- Avoid or limit alcohol consumption.
- Stop smoking cigarettes as soon as possible.
- Sleep well, at least 6 hours per night. It is recommended to turn off the displays at least one hour before going to bed, in order to prepare for sleep. Take one of the herbal teas recommended above.
- Losing weight may also help, especially if you are overweight.
- Do sports or physical exercises during the week.
- Reducing stress, laughing and being positive day by day: all this is above all a routine matter. The more you take care of yourself, the more you will create healthy lifestyles and be able to fertilize. There are certain yoga practices for fertility that can further help you get rid of stress too.
This article is merely informative, oneHOWTO does not have the authority to prescribe any medical treatments or create a diagnosis. We invite you to visit your doctor if you have any type of condition or pain.
If you want to read similar articles to How to Improve Cervical Mucus, we recommend you visit our Family health category.
- To increase the chances of getting pregnant, carefully follow your ovulation cycle closely and have frequent sexual intercourse during your fertility period.