How Many Calories To Eat Per Day Based On Age
When choosing a slimming diet, or simply wanting to know how our body works, the idea of the ideal daily calorie intake is never far from our thoughts... We ask ourselves how many calories we should be eating and, of how many calories to avoid. It's important to note that men and women develop differently and, what's more, caloric intake also varies depending on the age of the person. This OneHowTo article will give a few guidelines to help you understand how many calories you should eat, according to how old you are.
There are several formulas to calculate the daily calories you should consume. A simple formula is to multiply your weight in kilos by 30. This formula is not exact because it doesn't work for people aged over 65 years, but it can give you a general idea. The following guide is the recommended intake for moderately active people.
Appropriate Calorie Intake for Children
Due to their size, children don't require as many calories as adults. As a general rule:
- At age 2: children should consume up to about 1,000 calories a day.
- At age 6: children should consume about 1,400 calories a day.
Appropriate Calorie Intake for Teenagers
The period of adolescence is very demanding energy-wise, and it is at this stage that boys and girls require different daily calorie intakes. Young people must consume more calories in order to support their growth. The number of calories appropriate for every age is as follows:
- At age 10: girls should consume between 1,600-2,000 calories a day while boys should have 1,800-2,600.
- At age 15: girls should consume between 1,800-2,400 calories a day while boys need between 2,200-3,200.
- At age 20: both sexes should consume between 3,200-3,500 calories a day, this being the age when you need the most calories.
Appropriate Calorie Intake for Adults
Adulthood is a time for balance. For this reason, a balanced diet and controlled intake of calories is highly recommended. This can help to promote improved health and wellbeing for later years. Here are some guidelines:
- Men aged 25 to 60 years: 3,000 calories a day.
- Women aged 25 to 60 years: 2,200 calories a day.
Appropriate calorie intake for the elderly
At age 65 and over, the need for calories reduces somewhat. In addition, to promote health it is recommended to control the amount of calories consumed as follows:
- Men and women aged 65 and 70 years: 2,200 calories
- Men and women aged over 70 years: 1,800 calories
If You Want to Lose Weight
Remember if your goal is to lose weight you must lower the calorie intake and reduce it depending on your age and lifestyle. It is useful to know how to count your calorie intake. Having an adequate diet is very important. However, physical activity plays a fundamental part, helping you to consume a bigger number of calories while it keeps your heart and body healthy. It's indispensable if your goal is to lose a few kilos.
This article is merely informative, oneHOWTO does not have the authority to prescribe any medical treatments or create a diagnosis. We invite you to visit your doctor if you have any type of condition or pain.
If you want to read similar articles to How Many Calories To Eat Per Day Based On Age, we recommend you visit our Healthy living category.
- The calorific values described above are approximate and you should seek advice from a dietician about the optimal amount of calories that you should consume.