Benefits and Side Effects of Drinking Rose Water
The main benefits of drinking rose water include helping digestion, improving skin, and improving mood, while the side effects of drinking rose water are negligible, if the rose water is pure and organic.
The benefits of rose water for the the skin are not new. Rose water has been used in creams and tonics for a very long time. But drinking rose water is a relatively new trend, and prominent brands have just started making their own rose water drinks. That is why today at oneHOWTO we will discuss the benefits of drinking rose water as well as the side effects of drinking rose water. We will also talk about drinking rose water for acne and weight loss, and drinking rose water while pregnant. Moreover, we will teach you how to make rose water for drinking.
What is rose water
Rose water is a beauty elixir that has been used since the times of Cleopatra. Michelangelo is also believed to have drunk rose water tea everyday. That is not surprising because rose water is easy to make, readily available, and has multiple benefits.
Rose water often comes from rosa damascena, a species of rose plant which contains amazing elements such as terpenes, glycosides, flavonoids and anthocyanins that are beneficial to the health. In Ayurvedic medicine, on the other hand, rose water often derives form rosa centifolia.
Regardless of which rose is used, rose water is made by distilling the petals of the rose flower with water for beauty, perfuming, and cooking purposes. As we will see, it is possible to make rose water at home. Rose water is widely used in Iran, India and the Middle East to perfume homes, flavour foods and improve the skin.
Let's now see what are the benefits of drinking rose water.
Benefits of drinking rose water
Rose water drinks have only recently made their appearance in posh grocery stores and health stores, so it is understandable that people are still wondering what are the benefits of drinking rose water.
First of all you should know that drinking rose water is not a new thing: it has been drunk in India and the Middle East for both medical and culinary purposes. Here is an exhaustive list of the benefits of drinking rose water:
1. Skin benefits
Many people use rose water-based skin products. If you want to use rose water on skin, you should know it has the following benefits:
- Through drinking rose water you hydrate the skin from the inside, providing it with nourishment, yet not risking of making it look oily. By drinking rose water your skin will feel young and healthy.
- It helps reduce acne. Rose water is antiseptic, antioxidant and anti-bacterial, so it helps kill the bacteria responsible for acne from the inside.
- Drinking rose water is a youth elixir for the skin as it reduces wrinkles and rejuvenates. Being an antioxidant, rose water delays ageing. Rose water contains flavonoids anthocyanins, the same elements contained in berries, so they have similar antioxidant properties.
- Rose water lightens the skin and helps reduce dark spots.
2. Helps your mental health
One of the most important benefits of drinking rose water is the rose water's aroma. It is so powerful that it is believed to immediately improve mood and give a sense of well-being.
- Drinking rose water improves the mood, relieves stress and depression, that is why rose is also used in aromatherapy.
- Drinking rose water helps you relax at night.
- In many countries rose water is used to calm down cranky children.
- Drinking rose water helps digestion by relieving and preventing gas and constipation.
- One of the benefits of drinking rose water is healing from colds and sore throat because of rose water's bronchodialtor properties.
3. Anti-inflammatory properties
- Drinking rose water relieves inflammations as it is anti-inflammatory and antiseptic.
- Drinking rose water decreases fluid retention and cellulite.
- Drinking rose water for allergies: rose water can help treat allergies and skin conditions such as eczema.
4. Aids the digestive system
- Drinking rose water for weight loss: rose water helps the digestive system work well, aiding evacuation and reduction of gas, thus promoting weight loss. Combined with saffron, it reduces the impulse to eat.
- Drinking rose water helps cool down in the summer heat.
- The most important benefit of drinking rose water is that it contains a lot of vitamins: A, C, D, E, and B3.
- Rose water also contains tannins, citric acid and zinc.
A special mention should be made regarding Ayurveda: rose water has been used in Ayurveda medicine for centuries. It is believed to balance the subdosha of Pitta dosha that determines the emotions, which can dysfunction especially in summer and result in mood swings, and digesting problems. Drinking rose water cools down the emotions and the digestive fire.
Now that you know all the benefits of drinking rose water, let's see if it has any side effect.
Side effects of drinking rose water
To put things straight, rose water is recognized as safe, and its side effects as negligible. However, people have experienced side effects such as stomach ache with synthetic rose water available at many supermarkets. The side effects are due to the additives and preservative chemicals, not to the rose water itself. That is why in order not to experience the side effects of drinking rose water, you should always buy organic, pure, edible rose water. The other option is to make your own rose water with the recipe we are about to give you.
What about drinking rose water while pregnant? As we said, pure rose water is safe, so there is no reason not to drink it during pregnancy. However, since very little research has been carried out regarding the internal use of rose water, if you are pregnant you should consult your healthcare provider before drinking rose water, and you should drink little amounts.
Now that you know the side effects of drinking rose water, we can learn how to make rose water.
How to make rose water
Now you know all about rose water, at oneHOWTO we'd like to give you a recipe so you can make your own at home.
You will need
- petals from 2 roses
- a half litre glass jar
- half litre distilled water
- Place distilled water and rose petals in the jar, mix
- Leave in the sun for 3 days
- You have a pure natural rose water for internal as well as topical use.
If you want to make rose water tea, boil rose petals in water for 10 minutes and strain.
Our tip is to always choose roses that are close to producing seeds, because they retain the highest amount of vitamins.
Go on and enjoy the amazing benefits of drinking rose water!
This article is merely informative, oneHOWTO doe not have the authority to prescribe any medical treatments or create a diagnosis.We invite you to visit your doctor if you have any type of condition or pain.
If you'd like to read similar articles to Benefits and Side Effects of Drinking Rose Water, we recommend you browse around our Healthy living category.