What Foods and Drinks Contain Caffeine
There's no doubt that coffee, as its name suggests, contains caffeine, but it is not the only product that has it. Caffeine is a methylxanthine, a group of stimulant alkaloids including theophylline or theine, and theobromine found in foods like chocolate. Although all these products are commonly considered as caffeine as they have the same effect on the body, each one corresponds to different foods, which is important to know especially to keep them out of our diet. So at OneHowTo we reveal to you some caffeinated foods and others with theine and theobromine.
Foods containing caffeine, theine and theobromine are considered stimulants to the nervous system, so you should always have them in moderation to avoid binging on them. There are also certain conditions that stop you from having these products, so you should avoid foods containing these stimulants:
- When pregnant or breastfeeding, as they may irritate the baby and cause discomfort.
- If you suffer from heart problems because they affect heart rate.
- If you are suffering from gastrointestinal conditions such as irritable bowel syndrome, Crohn's disease, ulcerative colitis, ulcers, etc.
- If you suffer from insomnia.
- If you have nerve problems.
- If you have psychiatric problems.
- If you are sensitive to caffeine.
It is important to remember that each ingredient mentioned below acts as a stimulant in your body, so whether you are sensitive to caffeine or not, you should eat or drink these compounds in moderation and it is important to include them in a balanced way without overdoing it.
Among the most caffeinated foods, with the highest concentration of this stimulant, are:
- Coffee, especially espresso.
- Yerba mate.
- Soft drinks.
- Energy drinks.
- Products containing coffee as an ingredient, for example, certain beverages, desserts and ice creams.
Meanwhile, we can't forget that theine is also a stimulant, and when we have too much, it can affect our body. In addition, many products containing theine also contain caffeine, including:
- Black tea.
- Red tea.
- Green tea.
- Iced tea drinks.
- Tea products unless they are free of caffeine and theine.
Among the list of stimulants we can't forget about foods containing theobromine that also contain caffeine in small doses. These include:
- Dark chocolate
- Milk chocolate
- Chocolate drinks
- Any product containing chocolate: instant cocoa, cereals, desserts, drinks, foods, etc.
Want to learn about other foods rich in different nutrients? Then we invite you to read these articles:
This article is merely informative, oneHOWTO does not have the authority to prescribe any medical treatments or create a diagnosis. We invite you to visit your doctor if you have any type of condition or pain.
If you want to read similar articles to What Foods and Drinks Contain Caffeine, we recommend you visit our Healthy living category.
- Certain cookies, frozen yogurts and chocolate bars often contain caffeine too.
- Chocolate or cocoa soy milk also has caffeine