Is Raw Onion Good for Colds?
Using onions for fighting off diseases is not a new idea. People have been using onions for centuries to cure fevers, flues and coughs of different types. Onion poultice is also known to reduce inflammation and pain in the joints. Ayurvedic and homoeopathic doctors have been using the healing powers of onions, as well as other immunity boosting preparations, to ward off a variety of illnesses and viruses. It is believed that red onions can work better as compared to white onions. Yellow ones can be accepted, but red ones are the best. Read this oneHOWTO article to know is raw onion good for colds?
Why can onions be effective?
Onions are known to offer a wide range of health benefits. They have high content of sulfuric compounds, like sulfoxides, thiosulfinates and cysteine sulfoxides. It is due to these compounds that you cry while cutting them and you enjoy their pungent flavor. Onions also have potent properties due to their thiosulfinates, which are shown to kill E.coli and salmonella. Sulfuric compounds in onions play a major role in preventing heart disease and cancer, due to which they become effective immune boosters. Onions are also rich in quercetin, an antioxidant that is helpful in fighting against free radicals, and boosting immune response. Onions are also helpful in breaking up or clearing mucous that might be blocking a person’s immune system. In addition to curing fevers, coughs and colds, onions are also found to be effective in dealing with a number of respiratory diseases.
How to use onions for curing colds
Follow these steps to use an onion to cure cold:
- Peel and cut an onion into thin slices, preferably a red onion. All onions are known to have medicinal properties to cure and treat colds, but red ones have highest quercetin content. Quercetin is a flavanoid rich in antioxidants, that are known to fight against free radicals and stop production of histamines.
- Place the sliced onion in a small bowl, and pour honey over it. Pour enough honey to coat all the onion slices properly. By doing this, you will minimize the severe heat and taste of the onions, and also add the healing powers of honey to it. Honey is also known to be a natural suppressant for coughs, as it also contains quercetin, the flavanoid.
- Put this bowl in the refrigerator and let it sit overnight. Eat this mixture the next morning. If there is any leftover honey, eat that too, as it is also infused with the healing properties of onions.
- Maximize the use of onions in your food. You can add raw onions in a variety of sandwiches, soups, salads, and even some sweet dishes.
You may also use learn to make an onion and honey cough syrup to cure colds.
Making an onion soup to cure colds
Sipping hot onion soup can be an effective remedy to cure cold and flu. Here’s the recipe:
- 3 big organic onions
- 3 organic garlic cloves
- ¼ cup finely-chopped, fresh organic oregano
- 4 cups distilled water
- Himalayan salt to taste
- Chop onions and cut garlic into small cubes
- Boil water and add garlic, onions and oregano to it
- Let it simmer for 15-20 minutes, or until you see that the onions have become soft and translucent
- Drink this hot soup, as it will raise your body temperature and help in curing cold
This article is merely informative, oneHOWTO doe not have the authority to prescribe any medical treatments or create a diagnosis.We invite you to visit your doctor if you have any type of condition or pain.
If you'd like to read similar articles to Is Raw Onion Good for Colds?, we recommend you browse around our Family health category.