Chyawanprash is generally considered to be safe during pregnancy. Because of its high vitamin C content, many Ayurveda practitioners actually recommend it for pregnant women. However, you should always consult your doctor before taking supplements while pregnant.
Chyawanprash has many benefits: for hair, rejuvenation, digestion, breathing, and even sexual power. But do you know what are Chyawanprash benefits during pregnancy? In this oneHOWTO article we will not only discuss Chyawanprash benefits in pregnancy, but also if Chyawanprash for toddlers is safe to use, and give you lots of general suggestions on the use of Chyawanprash in pregnancy and for children. So, read on to discover all about Chyawanprash and toddlers and: can chyawanprash be taken during pregnancy?
Can chyawanprash be taken during pregnancy?
Chyawanprash is considered to be safe and beneficial during pregnancy. However, it is recommended that the dose be reduced for pregnant women. Half a teaspoon, or even a quarter of a teaspoon (2-3 grams) of Chyawanprash a day will be enough during pregnancy. Also, it is not recommended to take Chyawanprash during the hottest months while pregnant, nor to take it for the all duration of the pregnancy. Chyawanprash is a supplement to be taken for short time spells.
Chyawanprash benefits during pregnancy are multiple, and we will discuss them in the following chapter. The main benefit is its amazing vitamin C content. Pregnant women are often recommended to take vitamin complements containing vitamin C. The vitamin C contained in Chyawanprash is totally natural, as it comes from Amla, Indian gooseberry, which is a fruit. Studies point to the possible risks associated with taking unnatural or synthetic vitamin C. Vitamin C from natural sources is definitely safer to take for pregnant women.
Just be careful that the chyawanprash you take during pregnancy is pure and does not contain additional ingredients other than those included in the recipe of chyawanprash. Chyawanprash recipe should have Amla as the main ingredient (plus lots more herbs), and ghee and sesame oil used to give it a jam consistency.
Chyawanprash in early pregnancy might also be used, always under the supervision of a specialist. However, it might be more useful later on in pregnancy, when the vitamin requirements become greater.
Read on to discover the benefits of Chyawanprash during pregnancy and Chyawanprash for toddlers.
Chyawanprash benefits in pregnancy
The benefits of chyawanprash during pregnancy are multiple. Here we list the main ones:
- Vitamin C: this is the most important chyawanprash benefit in pregnancy. Pregnant women require lots and lots of vitamin C from food. Since chyawanprash is a natural source of vitamin C, it is one of the best sources after fresh food. Vitamin C in pregnancy helps maintain the iron level high and form strong bones in the foetus.
- Antidote against anaemia: so many women suffer from anaemia during pregnancy. Chyawanprash benefits in pregnancy include preventing anemia. Apart from very high vitamin C content, which helps absorbing iron, chyawanprash increases the haemoglobin levels (red cells count).
- Immune system: chyawanprash is an amazing boost for the immune system. Not only because of its vitamin C content, but also because it enhances white blood cells. Staying away from colds is very important for a pregnant woman.
- Anti-ageing: during pregnancy the body makes a big effort and requires lots of vitamins for the healthy development of the baby. As a result, the mother might suffer from a sudden ageing. One of the benefits of chyawanprash during pregnancy is preventing that from happening.
- Strengthens the hair: during pregnancy, nutritional deficits might lead to hair loss after giving birth. Chyawanprash prevents that from happening because of its Amla content. Amla is one of the best ingredients for the hair, as we discuss in this article.
When not to use chyawanprash in pregnancy
It is not recommended to use chyawanprash during the hottest months of the year, as it might increase the burning sensation. Also, it should not be taken by pregnant women with diabetes, as it contains sugar. Moreover, you should avoid it if you have diarrhoea.
If you have a burning sensation in the stomach as a consequence of taking chyawanprash, try drinking a glass of warm milk after taking chyawanprash in the morning. If it persists, stop taking it altogether.
Now that we answered to the question: can chyawanprash be taken during pregnancy, and you know the benefits of chyawanprash during pregnancy, let's come to chyawanprash for toddlers.
Chyawanprash for toddlers
Most Ayurveda practitioners use chyawanprash for children as young as 1 year old, while a few prefer to wait 5 years of age. Consult your paediatrician before giving chyawanprash to a toddler. The possibility of giving chyawanprash to a toddler will also depend on the digestive system of the specific child and on whether the toddler is used to spices or not. Chyawanprash ingredients include lots of spices, so do not give it if your children have not tried spices, or if they are allergic to them. If you would like to know more about spices for toddlers, check this article.
When you buy chyawanprash for toddlers, make sure it is pure and simple chyawanprash and that it does not contain Makardhwaj, which is not suitable for kids.
The main benefit of Chyawanprash for toddlers is preventing colds and diseases. Because of its high vitamin C content, its 100% natural ingredients, and its white blood cell boosting power, it can greatly help children prevent and fight flues, colds and diseases.
Chyawanprash how to eat
Chyawanprash in pregnancy should be taken in the morning, on an empty stomach. A quarter to a half of a teaspoon followed by a glass of warm water will suffice.
Chyawanprash for toddlers should also be taken in the morning. A very small amount of it (less than a quarter of a teaspoon) should be taken together with a glass of warm milk.
Now you know all about the benefits of Chyawanprash in pregnancy and Chyawanprash for toddlers, but remember to always consult your doctor before taking medicines and supplements!
This article is merely informative, OneHowTo does not have the authority to prescribe any medical treatments or create a diagnosis. We invite you to visit your doctor if you have any type of condition or pain.
If you want to read similar articles to Can Chyawanprash Be Taken during Pregnancy?, we recommend you visit our Drugs & supplements category.