How to Use Vaseline to Get Rid of Lice
Having lice is a very common problem, especially in school going children who get exposed to several other heads filled with lice. When they sit and play with each other, lice on one child’s head quickly transfer to the other child’s head. That being said, lice affect head and hair of adult men and women as well. Although there are chemical and pesticide based shampoos that claim to remove lice from your head, you may look for a safer home remedy for the purpose. Vaseline is one such ingredient that can be effective in removing lice from your head. Read this oneHOWTO article to find out how to use Vaseline to get rid of lice.
What are lice and why it is important to remove them?
Lice are microscopic organisms that feed on your head, sometimes even body and pubic hair. It is important to remove lice from your head as soon as possible, otherwise it will cause severe itching in the area. Most of the times, if one person in the family has lice, all others will get the infection too. So, if someone in your family has lice,make sure you make lice repellent, try to keep his comb, towels, pillow and other supplies separate, until he or she becomes lice-free. Click here to know What is the Life Cycle of Head Lice on Humans.
How Vaseline works to remove lice
Vaseline is a type of petroleum jelly. It is a safer alternative for people who don’t want to use chemicals or pesticides on their heads and prefer fast home remedies. People that have a plant allergy also find it safer to use Vaseline. It is also a recommended ingredient for lice removal for pregnant women and breast feeding mothers. How does Vaseline get rid of lice? It actually works by suffocating lice. This means that Vaseline does not kill lice chemically. It rather suffocates them to stop breathing. When you apply Vaseline on your hair, it stuffs into the breathing tubes of the lice. As a result, they cannot breathe and eventually die.
Step by step instructions to use Vaseline for lice removal
Now, let's take a look at this easy method to use Vaseline to get rid of lice:
You will need
- Plastic wrap
- Shower cap
- Nit comb
- Mixing bowl
- Baby shampoo
- Put a towel around your shoulders and sit in a place where you won’t mind creating a mess
- Apply liberal amount of Vaseline on your head and make sure that it reaches each and every corner
- Make a bunch of all your hair and wrap in a plastic wrap while making sure that each and every strand has tucked in
- Give a double cover with a shower cap
- Wrap a towel tightly around your head while making sure that nothing leaks out. Pin the corners of the towel so that it doesn’t fall off
- This application needs to stay for around 8 hours. So, if you can sleep with it, let it stay overnight. Otherwise, wait for the weekend and dedicate an entire day to the process. Once you have wrapped the towel, you are free to do your regular work. But going out or welcoming a guest with this package on your head will look a little weird
- If you are leaving it overnight, cover your pillow with a towel too
- After 8 hours, remove the towel from your head, the shower cap, and then the plastic wrap
- Comb your hair. Keep a bowl underneath so that any goop coming off may be caught in it
- Continue combing until you have scrubbed off all the surface stuff
- If you can tolerate more, continue combing so as to remove any nits as well
- Wash your hair with a shampoo, making sure that all traces of Vaseline are removed completely. As Vaseline is not that easy to remove from your hair, you may need to shampoo your hair many times
- If all the lice does not go off in the first attempt, you can repeat the entire process after a few days. If you are using this process on a child, make sure that he or she can comfortably stay in this get up for around 8 hours
Click here to search for more Products to Get Rid of Lice if you are not convinced by this method.
This article is merely informative, oneHOWTO does not have the authority to prescribe any medical treatments or create a diagnosis. We invite you to visit your doctor if you have any type of condition or pain.
If you want to read similar articles to How to Use Vaseline to Get Rid of Lice, we recommend you visit our Family health category.