Causes For Low Lymphocyte Levels In Pregnancy
Lymphocytes are a type of white blood cells (what we commonly call defenses) whose function is to produce antibodies to defend against viruses and tumor cells. Lymphocytes values are counted in percentages within white blood cells, a normal range is between 20% to 40%. In OneHowTo we reveal what the causes of low lymphocyte levels in pregnancy are.
Lymphocytes during pregnancy
From the start of the pregnancy the immune system of the woman naturally becomes depressed so that it does not reject the fetus and to avoid detecting it as a foreign body and destroying it due to the presence of antigens from the father which are recognized as different to those of the mother. Thus, lymphocytes, which are responsible for the removal of abnormal cells, are reduced for the sake of the fetus.
The origin of this decline of lymphocytes in normal pregnancy is due to the increase in hormones that are secreted in the woman's body, hormones such as progesterone, estrogen, corticosteroids and chorionic gonadotropin.
- Progesterone: Reduces lymphatic activity decreasing the mother's reactive capacity against the antigens of the fetus.
- Corticosteroides: They have an immuno-suppressive effect, they are in fact a treatment for allergic disorders and other autoimmune diseases.
- Oestrogens: At the doses which are reached in pregnancy inflammation reactions are reduced.
- Chorionic gonadotropin: It acts directly reducing a type of lymphocytes, T lymphocytes, responsible for coordinating the immune cellular response.
This is a natural cause of low lymphocyte levels during pregnancy.
Low lymphocyte levels can also be due to external factors such as if you are having drug-based or x-ray treatment.
Other common causes
Like any person, a pregnant woman can be have low lymphocytes due to other diseases:
- Alcohol and other drug use
- Malnutrition, low protein diet
- Deficiency of iron, copper, zinc, selenium, vitamins A, C, E, B6, B9 (folic acid)
- Pathology in the thymus, organ of the lymphatic system whose function is to develop and mature the immune response.
Above all it is important to strengthen defenses with a good night's sleep, a balanced diet, a healthy supplement such as Chyawanprash, and exercising according to individual characteristics.
This article is merely informative, oneHOWTO does not have the authority to prescribe any medical treatments or create a diagnosis. We invite you to visit your doctor if you have any type of condition or pain.
If you want to read similar articles to Causes For Low Lymphocyte Levels In Pregnancy, we recommend you visit our Family health category.
- We always recommend that if you have any doubts you see your doctor or leave your comment here.
- There is no reason to worry if your lymphocyte count is just slightly low from average.