What is Protonix Medication Used For
Protonix is the brand name under which the drug Pantoprazole is sold. If you have been prescribed this medicine or have a person close to you that has, in this article we will let you know what Protonix is and What is Protonix Medication used for.
The brand name Protonix is used to market the prescription drug Pantoprazole. Pantoprazole falls under the class of drugs called PPIs i.e. Proton Pump Inhibitors.
Protonix i.e. Pantoprazole is used mainly to treat problems in stomach and esophagus. It is most effective drug for problems like acid reflux and is used as a short – term treatment for gastroesophageal reflux disease. In this disease the acid produced in stomach flows backwards causing heartburn. This acid flow might also injure the esophagus causing difficulty in swallowing.
Pantroprazole decreases or blocks the amount of acid that our stomach produces. This helps in healing damaged stomach and esophagus. It also prevents ulcers and cancer of esophagus. Conditions like Zollinger – Ellison syndrome, where too much acid is produced in the stomach and can be treated using the Pantroprazole i.e. Protonix.
There are some unwanted side effects of Protonix which are as follows:
- Stomach pain
- Increase in thirst
- Blurred vision
- Dry mouth
- Dry or flushed skin
- Increase in hunger
- Increase in urination
- Breath odor like fruit
- Sudden weight loss
- Trouble in breathing
Protonix must be stored at room temperature i.e. 15 degrees Celcius to 30 degree Celcius (59 F to 86 F). Keep the medicine away from moisture.
1. Let your doctor know if you are allergic to pantoprazole or other drugs similar to it like lansoprazole, omeprazole etc.
2. To ensure that Protonix is safe for you, let your doctor know if you have liver disease, low bone mineral density, osteoporosis or low magnesium in blood
3. High dosage or long use of these pills may increase the risk of bone fracture especially in old adults. So, have a talk with your doctor as to how to prevent the bone loss or fracture by taking supplements.
4. For children, use protonix only if they are five years of age or more. Also do not continue this medicine for more than eight weeks as it is not known whether it is safe for children or not if continue for more than 8 weeks.
5. If you are using protonix then let your doctor know if you are pregnant or planning to get pregnant. As far as we know, there is no evidence of this drug harming an unborn baby, but it passes into breast milk. This will harm if you breast feed your baby while continuing Protonix.
This article is merely informative, oneHOWTO does not have the authority to prescribe any medical treatments or create a diagnosis. We invite you to visit your doctor if you have any type of condition or pain.
If you want to read similar articles to What is Protonix Medication Used For, we recommend you visit our Drugs & supplements category.