What Are the Causes of Vertigo
The human body maintains its sense of balance thanks to the vestibular system which is governed by the inner ear, brain stem, muscular, bone and joint sensitivity, and by the sense of sight. Changes in the vestibular system may cause the onset of vertigo. In this OneHowTo article, you can learn about the symptoms of vertigo.
However, many factors can contribute to the onset of vertigo. That's why at OneHowTo.com we'll help you to identify what the causes of vertigo are and how you can learn to prevent an attack of vertigo.
To find out what the causes of vertigo are, it's important to understand that there are two types of vertigo: peripheral and central vertigo. Your symptoms will indicate which kind you suffer.
- Peripheral vertigo: can be caused due to a problem in the inner ear, or more specifically, in the vestibular labyrinth or the semi-circular canals. Consequently, this affects your balance.
- Central vertigo: originates from a problem in the brain, specifically in the cerebellum or the brain stem.
Depending on the type of vertigo that you're suffering from, the causes are likely to vary.
To learn the causes of vertigo that is known as peripheral you must know that the factors that can induce it are the following:
- Taking certain medications, such as antibiotics, diuretics, cisplatin or salicylates.
- Suffering any type of injury to the skull.
- Having inflammation of the vestibular nerve.
- Contracting Menière's disease.
- Experiencing pressure in the vestibular nerve, which may be caused by a benign tumour.
Central vertigo, however, can have several other different causes, which are as follows:
- Having suffered from a vascular disease, causing a decreased blood flow to the brain.
- Having taken anti-seizure medications or acetylsalicylic acid.
- Suffering from migraines.
- Having multiple sclerosis.
- Having suffered an epileptic seizure.
- Having suffered a stroke.
- Having cancerous or benign tumours.
Now that you know what the causes of vertigo are, you can help to prevent its occurrence by making some lifestyle changes. To prevent vertigo, we suggest leading a healthy life and visiting your doctor regularly to avoid such attacks.
If you do have vertigo, it is recommended to stay home and rest, and follow the advice of your doctor.
This article is merely informative, oneHOWTO does not have the authority to prescribe any medical treatments or create a diagnosis. We invite you to visit your doctor if you have any type of condition or pain.
If you want to read similar articles to What Are the Causes of Vertigo, we recommend you visit our Diseases & secondary effects category.