Vitamin E and Weight Loss: Benefits and Contraindications
Vitamin E, also known as tocopherol, is an essential vitamin which functions as an antioxidant that helps to protect a body's fatty acids, keeping them healthy. Another common function of vitamin E in the body is the protection it provides against certain pathologies that can form toxic molecules.
Vitamin E is a well-known vitamin which carries a large set of beneficial properties. However, as with any additional medicine or vitamin, one should be aware of its possible side effects. We always recommend consulting a doctor before taking any new vitamin, even if 100% natural. A common question asked in relation to this vitamin is, ‘‘Does Vitamin E make you gain weight?’’ Keep reading here at oneHOWTO to find out everything you need to know about Vitamin E including its benefits, side effects and whether or not Vitamin E causes weigh gain.
List of vitamins that cause weight gain
Although vitamin E does carry various side effects, Vitamin E should not cause weight gain. So which vitamins cause weight gain? In fact, there are no calories in vitamins, therefore, no vitamin should cause weight gain.
If, however, you are taking vitamin E and notice that you have gained weight, you should visit a doctor immediately. This weight gain could be due to a digestion problem that must be treated professionally. Additionally, there are other causes which can cause weight gain when consuming Vitamin E, the most common being menopause. When you are entering menopause, the decrease of estrogen in the body can result in a development of fatty tissue around the abdomen.
As we’ve already mentioned, it is not normal for Vitamin E to make you fat. Therefore, if you notice weight gain when taking this vitamin, we recommend consulting a doctor as soon as possible.
For more, we recommend reading our article where we discuss how to take vitamin supplements.
Vitamin E 400 iu benefits
Vitamin E is known as the vitamin of youth, why? Because it fights against cell aging. Other benefits of Vitamin E include:
- Vitamin E to fight infection: because it helps to increase defense cell production, vitamin E strengthens the immune system and helps fight against viral infections.
- Vitamin E promotes skin-healing: vitamin E stimulates the formation of collagen and elastic fibers, which helps to heal wounds and, above all, burns.
- Vitamin E is a powerful antioxidant: which protects cells from toxic compounds which are capable of entering the body. Vitamin E is used to combat aging and prevent the appearance of wrinkles.
- Vitamin E benefits vital organs: vitamin E also reduces the harmful effects of cigarette smoke in the lungs and the damages of alcohol on the liver. In addition, it aids in the prevention of high cholesterol, coronary problems due to blood pressure and combats cellular degeneration in the brain.
- Vitamin E protects muscle membranes, nerves and the cardiovascular system.
- Vitamin E extends red blood cells lifespan.
- Vitamin E has a great capacity of dissolving fats in the body.
- Vitamin E is an excellent diuretic and promotes circulation.
We always recommend consulting a doctor before taking any vitamin. If not administered correctly it could be incredibly dangerous. For example, if you take any anticoagulant medication or suffer from hemophilia, you should never take vitamin E.
For more, read what are the benefits of vitamin E.
Vitamins for weight loss and metabolism
Vitamin E carries two main tasks in the body which include: improving muscle function and increasing red blood cell production to protect them. These two functions are naturally related to the increase of muscle mass and, if we consider its capacity of dissolving fat in the body, you will see how vitamin E can contribute to weight loss. Do you want to know how you can lose weight using vitamin E? If so, follow these simple steps:
- Bear in mind that if your goal is to lose weight, Vitamin E can help but not alone. In addition to taking vitamin E, you will also need to live a healthy lifestyle, follow a balanced diet and exercise regularly.
- Eat foods rich in vitamin E (daily) to reduce abdominal fat.
- You can also find Vitamin E in supplement form. Before taking any vitamin tablet, however, we recommend consulting your doctor beforehand.
Vitamins for weight loss
Other vitamins known to help with weight loss include:
- Vitamin D
- B vitamins
For more, we recommend reading our article where we list the 7 best food supplements for weight loss.
Foods containing vitamin E
If you want to take advantage of the benefits of vitamin E, consume these foods containing vitamin E:
- Green leafy vegetables such as spinach, asparagus and broccoli.
- Egg yolk and liver.
- Some fruits such as kiwi, mango, avocado, grapes and coconut.
- Vegetable oils such as sunflower, olive, soy or corn oil are the main source of vitamin E, as well as products derived from them such as mayonnaise and margarine.
- Nuts such as pistachios, almonds, peanuts or hazelnuts.
- Cereals such as oats, wheat, rye and rice.
This article is merely informative, oneHOWTO does not have the authority to prescribe any medical treatments or create a diagnosis. We invite you to visit your doctor if you have any type of condition or pain.
If you want to read similar articles to Vitamin E and Weight Loss: Benefits and Contraindications, we recommend you visit our Drugs & supplements category.