How To Treat Throat Polyps
Throat polyps are often called vocal polyps because these tumours are mostly localized on the vocal cords. Polyps look like small blisters on the back of the throat; most people are not even aware that the polyps are there. These polyps cause breakages in the voice and problems in the voice box and can be particularly problematic for singers or people working in businesses contexts where they must talk a lot. Smoking for long time, gastroesophageal reflux problems and misuse or overuse of the vocal cords are common causes of these polyps, which can be treated both holistically or surgically. Take a look at our article and learn how to treat throat polyps.
Throat polyps are benign growths that appear on the vocal chords due to incorrect use of your voice. This affection usually appears in people who use their voice frequently every day (singers, teachers, etc) and with time nodules end up hardening and turning into lesions. The more you use your voice, the worse your polyp will get, which is why it's important to treat them as soon as possible in order to get your health back on track quickly.
To treat polyps the most essential thing to do is to re-educate your voice, in this way you'll learn basic concepts so that the nodules don't re-appear or suffer from hoarseness or any other usual symptoms. Therefore, it's recommendable to start a voice therapy that is prescribed for the following:
- Reducing bad voice projection and learning to use it correctly
- Taking hygiene measures for your mouth
- Learning to find volume, breathing and voice tone
- Reducing stress through vocal chord relaxation exercises
To do this treatment it's essential to go to a specialist that will tell you about all the basic steps. Medical supervision is essential so you don't hurt yourself and acquire essential habits so polyps don't appear again.
One of the effects of polyps is voice loss, therefore, you can reduce it following some home remedies, that are designed to relieve damage and help you use your voice again. For example, ginger is a perfect ally to treat polyps and voice loss thanks to the health properties it has for the throat. You'll only need to prepare ginger tea with lemon juice and honey and drink it twice a day. You'll slowly feel irritation fade away and your speech will come back.
Thyme is an aromatic herb that will also work to perfection when treating voice loss. Therefore you'll need to add a spoonful of thyme in a glass of water, add lemon juice and honey and drink twice a day. You'll feel how the state of your voice improves.
Take a look at our article on how to cure voice loss naturally.
However, the most efficient way of treating throat polyps is to have a surgery. This involves the doctor removing the nodules that have appeared. The specialist will also ask for a biopsy of the polyp to make sure it's benign and there are no signs of cancer, so don't be scared if he asks for this procedure ans it's normal.
Vocal polyp surgery is a procedure performed in a hospital under general anesthetic. The surgeon will remove one vocal polyp each time. Vocal therapy is needed later to regain normal voice use.
As we have previously said, it's important to change your habits to avoid polyps from appearing in your throat again. Moreover, vocal therapy mentioned previously will also recommend these practices:
- Work to relieve stress. Sometimes stress can cause the vocal cords to continue strained, irritating the ropes and leaving these more susceptible to polyps. Stress reduction techniques and relaxation exercises can help reduce the risk of polyps.
- Stop Smoking. Cigarette smoke may be a general cause for throat polyps and can irritate existing polyps. If throats polyps are a recurring problem and you are a smoker you must try to quit.
- Hydrate a lot: It's important to hydrate your vocal chords as much as possible to avoid tearing, therefore, we recommend drinking around 2 liters of water every day so these don't appear again.
This article is merely informative, oneHOWTO does not have the authority to prescribe any medical treatments or create a diagnosis. We invite you to visit your doctor if you have any type of condition or pain.
If you want to read similar articles to How To Treat Throat Polyps, we recommend you visit our Family health category.
- Sometimes surgery can cause permanent damage to the voice. Surgery should be the last resort for the treatment of vocal polyps.