How to Treat an Enlarged Spleen Naturally
The spleen is the organ responsible for filtering blood, remove germs and cope with numerous diseases making it very important for the lymphatic system, although we will inevitably get sick sometimes. In fact, its swelling is one of the most common disorders it can suffer and we must be careful with this because this condition can lead to more complex diseases.
At oneHOWTO we will reveal the symptoms of this disease while we explain how to treat an enlarged spleen naturally.
Symptoms of an enlarged spleen
Before addressing the treatment of this condition, it is important to identify the key signs that will tell us that the organ is not working properly. The most common symptoms of an enlarged spleen are:
- Having anemia, because the spleen, as already mentioned, is one of the organs responsible for cleaning blood and ensuring red and white blood cells are strong and healthy. If the spleen is swollen, cleaning and purifying is not done correctly and causes an alteration in our red blood cells which can lead to the development of anemia.
- This alteration may also cause increased bleeding in wounds, in turn caused by an accumulation of red and white cells inside the spleen, which do not adequately reach the rest of our body. Anemia in turn can cause fatigue.
- Other signs of this condition are poor appetite and satiety. This is caused because the spleen, being inflamed, is larger than normal and pushes the stomach.
- Sharp pain on the left side of the body. This can go from the upper left abdomen to the left shoulder, the discomfort is intense and can even cause breathing problems. It is the clearest symptom of this anomaly.
Now that we know some of the symptoms that can help us identify this problem, we list some steps to follow to know how to treat an enlarged spleen naturally.
As always, the first tip is to go to the doctor or a specialist to establish the level of this alteration. An enlarged spleen can cause chronic infection and this infection can become dangerous so the specialist may decide to remove the organ if the alteration is very serious, however this decision will depend strictly on physician's diagnosis.
Onion for an enlarged spleen
Once the doctor has decided how to treat the enlarged spleen you can support the treatment naturally with a diet of vegetables, fruits and broths. Following a healthy diet that is low in fat is very important to ensure your well-being and recovery.
It is recommended that you drink onion cooked water with a tablespoon olive oil as this is an excellent remedy to improve this condition. This is due to the many properties of onion: diuretic, hypotensive, decreases levels of blood lipids, capable of removing toxins and stomach enzymes and is a potent cardio-protector. You can take 3 cups a day to reduce the swelling of the spleen.
Apple tree tea
This fruit is very beneficial for treating disorders such as heartburn, gastritis, gastrointestinal problems and inflammation of the digestive tract. This is because apple is highly diuretic, has anti-diarrhoeal, digestive and sedative properties and is a natural antacid.
Being a natural product, you can take it any time but without going over the top in order to avoid any contraindications. Before meal times it will strengthen your system when the time to digest arrives.
Natural blueberry juice
Thanks to its low sugar and high antioxidant content, blueberries are suitable for the prevention and treatment of urinary tract diseases. Its anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties help reduce inflammation problems in different organs such as the spleen, it is recommended you consume it early in the day and on an empty stomach.
Nettle infusions are also a good option to treat an enlarged spleen naturally. This plant has healing and anti-inflammatory properties that reduce infections and enhance biliar function and digestion, which is why it's so beneficial for this condition.
Taking 3 infusions a day before meals is ideal.
Staying active will prevent swelling and illness, and will keep your blood circulating through your body. Regular exercising will increase flow of blood to your digestive tract, and engage muscles so that the spleen keeps working as it should. Physical activity will help in ushering out the waste within your system. Therapies like foam rolling, infrared sauna and massage will also support your lymphatic system and help in detoxification.
Using essential oils for an enlarged spleen
Some essential oils are effective to treat an enlarged spleen naturally by improving your body’s capability to fight infections, drain swelling, reduce pain and increase flow of blood. Essential oils like frankincense, cypress, oregano, myrrh and lemon are efficient in targeting infection directly in your lymph nodes. Mix a few drops of any of these oils in coconut oil or jojoba oil, and massage over your spleen 2-3 times a day.
Consume more of these
- Blackstrap molasses: This is a by-product of sugar refining, and contains a variety of healthy substances. It is a syrup that is dense in nutrients, and contains a huge variety of minerals, vitamins and essential metals, like potassium, calcium and magnesium. It is rich in antioxidants that help in maintaining and restoring spleen health. This home remedy is very helpful in relieving pain derived from an enlarged spleen.
- Capsicum: This is an efficient and trusted remedy to cure an inflamed spleen. Because it contains large number of minerals and vitamins, it is quite efficient in relieving acute pain.
- Ginger: Ginger helps in improving absorption of useful nutrients in your body, and in turn helps in treating spleen infection related problems. Spleen has an important role to play in the process of nutrient absorption, thereby helps in giving you a stronger and healthier body. In case of a spleen infection, ginger can help in relieving pain and inflammation to a great extent.
Increase your vitamin C intake
Vitamin C is found to be very effective in minimizing the risk of developing spleen related disorders. It is a natural antioxidant which boosts your immunity and helps in fighting against spleen related problems. It is also useful in replenishing your general overall health. When you take vitamin C on a regular basis, vitamin C will eliminate free radicals from your body and improve your spleen conditions.
Keep your spleen protected
Anyone with spleen infection should stay careful and avoid any kind of contact near the abdomen. Avoid contact sports like wrestling, hockey, football etc. and always wear seat belt while driving. Rough contact near the spleen can cause it to rupture, and complicate the situation.
When you are stressed, your digestive, immune as well as lymphatic systems become vulnerable to its effects. When your brain communicates a stressful situation to your body, your hormones alter and your body’s capability to protect itself gets affected. If you stay stressed most of the time, your immune system gets weakened, and you become vulnerable to inflammation, ulcers, irritable bowel syndrome and other such problems. If you are going through a stressful situation, try some relaxing exercising like meditation, get involved in some hobbies that you love, increase your physical activity level, spend time with friends and take warm baths.
Spleen foods to avoid
The spleen is a very important organ that builds your strength, immunity and overall well-being. An unhealthy spleen can lead to anemia and fatigue, and may even affect the proper functioning of other digestion related organs, like colon, liver, stomach, rectum and uterus.
The best home remedy for spleen infection is to eat healthy food rich in vitamins, minerals and antioxidants. This helps in lowering down the inflammation and fighting against free radicals. Foods to avoid include dairy products, soy, gluten, low-quality animal food, snacks with sugar, refined vegetable oils and processed foods which contain toxins and chemicals.
This article is merely informative, oneHOWTO does not have the authority to prescribe any medical treatments or create a diagnosis. We invite you to visit your doctor if you have any type of condition or pain.
If you want to read similar articles to How to Treat an Enlarged Spleen Naturally, we recommend you visit our Diseases & secondary effects category.