How To Get An Abortion In India
Abortion is the procedure of getting rid of an unplanned child before its birth. A woman may decide to have an abortion if she is not willing to give birth to the child, or if she or the child has chances of facing serious mental or physical crisis after the child’s birth. We have already given you Tips for getting pregnant quickly and naturally at OneHowTo.com, but here we will tell you how to get an abortion in India.
The legal issue of abortion in India
In many parts of India, daughters are degraded, unwanted, and become the target of many abortions. Techniques such as medical ultrasonography can successfully identify the sex of the child in the uterus. Some Indian parents use this blessing with an evil intention, and terminate the pregnancy if there is a girl in the womb. This leads to major differences in male to female ratio in the country. Considering this scenario, sex selective abortion is illegal in the country. Using medical ultrasonography to identify the child’s sex is also illegal, and both the physician and the parents undergoing such procedure can face serious legal complications.
Conditions of having an abortion in India
In India, a child can be aborted only within 20 weeks of pregnancy, that too under the following conditions:
· If the woman is suffering from a disease, and her pregnancy can pose danger to her life.
· If her mental or physical health can be put at risk with the pregnancy.
· If the fetus has potential risk of serious mental or physical handicap.
· If the woman gets rubella within 3 months of the pregnancy.
· If the woman’s previous kids suffered from congenital abnormalities.
· If the fetus has RH disease.
· If the fetus got exposed to irradiation.
· If the pregnancy was the result of a rape.
· If the woman’s social or economic status may interfere with a healthy pregnancy.
· If the method of contraception failed.
Methods of having an abortion in India
There are two different methods of having an abortion in India, either with pills or with surgical intervention.
· Medical abortion: This kind of abortion can be done before 12 weeks of pregnancy. It is a safe and less invasive method of aborting an unplanned child, but at very early stages of conceiving. A combination of mifepristone and misoprostol is given to the pregnant woman in the form of pills. This causes contraction in the womb, thus pushing out the contents of the uterus, along with the fetus. This kind of abortion is preferred by most Indian women, because it can be performed within the privacy of their bedroom, without the need to get admitted in a hospital.
· Surgical abortion: This is the surgical procedure of having the abortion. The woman is either given artificial contractions to expel the fetus, or a cesarean is performed to take it out. Sometimes, vacuum aspiration method is also used to suck out the contents of the uterus.
Abortion is a physically, mentally and emotionally difficult procedure for a woman. But sometimes, it becomes a necessity, and then, it becomes a legal issue in India.
This article is merely informative, oneHOWTO does not have the authority to prescribe any medical treatments or create a diagnosis. We invite you to visit your doctor if you have any type of condition or pain.
If you want to read similar articles to How To Get An Abortion In India, we recommend you visit our Family health category.