Foods That Lower Glucose Levels
People with diabetes can have blood sugar rises during the day, so it is important to know what foods can help you lower it and restore your blood glucose levels. In addition to using food, there are some infusions or lifestyle habits that can help us stay in a state of optimal health. In this OneHowTo article, we will discover foods that lower glucose levels which will help you have a healthy lifestyle.
Avocados. This is one of the most suitable fruits to help lower blood sugar levels because they are rich in monounsaturated fatty acids that help stabilise insulin which reduces blood glucose levels. Furthermore, the avocado is also believed to help reduce the risk of coronary heart disease. The way to eat avocado is simple: incorporate this ingredient into your diet by making salads or recipes with avocado and that will make your dishes delicious and very healthy.
Apples. These are another fruit indicated to help lower glucose levels because of its pectin content - a property that helps slow the absorption of sugar and fat. By eating apples, we are controlling our blood sugar and opting for a balanced state of health. Also, apples consist of a lot of water so it helps to clean the body and eliminate toxins, perfect for helping you lose weight.
Walnuts. These are the nut with the most Omega 3 fatty acids; a nutrient that helps reduce glucose and stabilize your insulin. Moreover, walnuts also help blood vessels function better, so it is good for cardiovascular diseases and diabetes. So if you want to lower your glucose with food, you must not fail to include Walnuts in your recipes (the recommended amounts are 2 tablespoons a day).
Cinnamon. This is one of the best foods for lower glucose levels since it is considered to generate a better insulin response to glucose (ie, sugar). Taking cinnamon ensures that the body can reduce blood sugar levels naturally and also contributes to lower cholesterol in the blood. In fact, because it absorbs glucose, cinnamon is one of the most suitable to help us lose weight with seasonings; in this OneHowTo article we tell you how to make a cinnamon milk drink.
Apple cider vinegar. You can reduce your blood sugar by regularly taking apple vinegar as part of your meals or, if you prefer, take it dissolved in water before each meal. Vinegar works because it makes food remain in the stomach for longer and thus, the amount of sugar in the body is decreased. If you choose to take it dissolved in water, you have to keep in mind that this is a very acidic product and could harm the health of your stomach, so first of all do a tolerance test before beginning this routine.
Pulses. These are a food rich in fiber and protein, however, they have a small amount of fat and calories. But we say that they are good for reducing glucose thanks to their great fiber contribution meaning this nutrient is able to reduce the absorption of sugars and therefore prevents accumulation in the blood. If recipes are made with pulses, people with diabetes will probably not experience sugar rises after eating it thanks to its fiber content.
In addition to these foods for lowering glucose, you know that you can also incorporate in your daily life a series of infusions that are also suitable for sugar levels. Here we detail 3 drinks that will help, but if you want to know more, in this OneHowTo article you can discover the Best teas to lower blood sugar.
- Orange tea: Orange contains "naringenin" a flavonoid that helps in assimilation of insulin. To make this drink, you just have to boil some water with orange peel in; bring it to a boil for 10 minutes and then strain it.
- Nettle root tea: Nettle is able to increase insulin secretion and reduce glucose, making it ideal for low blood sugar levels in our body. You'll have to boil nettle root in a little water for about 10 minutes; strain and its ready to take.
- Cinnamon tea: We have already commented on how cinnamon is one of the best foods for reducing blood sugar so making a tea with a cinnamon stick is ideal. You'll need to boil some water with two or three cinnamon sticks and then strain it; drink 1 or 2 cups a day to reap its benefits.
However food is not the only way to reduce your blood sugar, so it is also important that you consider a number of habits that will help glucose be better better assimilated in your body and, therefore, not produce these sugar spikes after meals. To reduce blood glucose you can try these practices:
- Physical exercise: When we do sport, our cells make the most of the glucose and therefore reduce that which is present in the blood.
- Reduce consumption of sugar: obviously, if you want to lower the sugar, it is essential to stop eating sugary products such as pastries, sweets or soft drinks.
- Reduce amounts: Another trick to lower glucose is to eat smaller portions and to eat during different times of day in order to regulate sugar.
- Fiber-rich foods: We have already commented that vegetables are recommended because they are high in fiber but, in general, all foods that are rich in this nutrient slow the absorption of sugar and thus regulate glucose.
This article is merely informative, oneHOWTO does not have the authority to prescribe any medical treatments or create a diagnosis. We invite you to visit your doctor if you have any type of condition or pain.
If you want to read similar articles to Foods That Lower Glucose Levels, we recommend you visit our Diseases & secondary effects category.