Yellow Diarrhoea in Adults - Causes and Treatment
Yellow diarrhoea is quite rare; generally, people in good health may suffer from yellow diarrhoea 1 or 2 times per year. When we see that our faeces have a yellow colour we usually worry. If the problem of yellow diarrhoea persists or appears often, and you suffer from chronic yellow diarrhoea, you must see your doctor. Yellow diarrhoea in adults may appear due to problems of the liver, bladder or small intestine. In this oneHOWTO we will talk about yellow diarrhoea in adults - causes and treatment.
Causes of yellow diarrhoea
The most common causes of yellow faeces are related to the liver, the gallbladder or the small intestine. Yellow diarrhoea in adults can be a sign of a serious health problem, including infection by parasites, liver disease or intestinal disease. If the yellow diarrhoea ceases after 1 or 2 days by changing diet and eating astringent foods, then it might be due to diet or medication. Chronic yellow diarrhoea sometimes is a sign of a more serious cause, such as gall stones or cancer.
Treatment yellow diarrhoea naturally
If you have yellow diarrhoea, and especially in the case of yellow watery diarrhoea, you must see a doctor and take appropriate medicines. However, there are some natural remedies that can help you treating yellow diarrhoea naturally.
Drink a glass of water with guava or sweet potato peel, or some sour lemon juice. In addition, you must refrain from eating hot foods such as chilli, coffee and alcohol; have a drink of pomegranate, camomile, avocado leaves and cinnamon instead. Your yellow diarrhoea should improve after a couple of days.
Medical treatment for yellow diarrhoea
- If treating yellow diarrhoea naturally doesn't work, it is very important for you to visit your doctor as you may have a serious liver or bowel problem. If you have yellow watery diarrhoea, for the first few days you can try a liver cleansing diet and ingest liquids in abundance. Food must be mild and taken in small amounts so that you get energy without overloading the digestive system.
- Take a solution of oral rehydration salts. For yellow diarrhoea, this is only necessary in certain cases but is very important in the case of yellow diarrhoea in children. If you don't want to buy it, it can be made easily at home by mixing 5 grams of sodium chloride, 50 grams of precooked rice or forty grams of sucrose in a litre of drinking water. Potassium can be added by mixing in juice from lemon, coconut, banana, etc.
- If yellow watery diarrhoea persists or the quantity is very large, treating yellow diarrhoea might include using medications such as loperamide or tanato. Both have side effects and are to be used after consulting a doctor. Loperamid and other anti-diarrhoea medications are not recommended for travellers with a serious diarrhoea. Those medications should not be administered in the case of yellow diarrhoea in children.
- You may also have to take a course of antibiotics to treat your diarrhoea. Before taking antibiotics, consult your physician.
This article is merely informative, oneHOWTO does not have the authority to prescribe any medical treatments or create a diagnosis. We invite you to visit your doctor if you have any type of condition or pain.
If you want to read similar articles to Yellow Diarrhoea in Adults - Causes and Treatment, we recommend you visit our Diseases & secondary effects category.
- In the case of an episode of persistent yellow diarrhoea quickly visit your doctor.