What is the Average Depth of a Woman's Vagina
If you have ever asked yourself whether your vagina is normal or not, the answer will most probably be yes. Every woman's vagina is different, but regardless of all the distinctive features, they all serve the same functions. What some women worry about in this sense is the size of their vaginas. The depth of the vagina does not only vary between different women, it also varies depending on age and other factors such as if the woman has had children or not. In this OneHowTo article we're going to explain you what the average depth of a woman's vagina is, as well as other facts about this area of the female body.
Average depth of a woman's vagina
The average depth of a vagina is 4 inches deep. This size is actually quite small, but it is important to note that this is the size of the vagina when not aroused. The vagina is elastic and it expands or becomes smaller depending on the situation. A vagina can be small enough to accommodate a tampon or a menstrual cup during menstruation, and expand to fit a penis during intercourse. As previously mentioned, the depth of a woman's vagina varies from woman to woman, but also during sexual arousal and sexual intercourse, as well as during the life of that woman.
When a woman is sexually aroused, the vagina expands. This happens thanks to the blood that flows into the area, which pushes up the cervix and uterus. This makes intercourse possible, as more space is created into the vagina for the penis to penetrate.
However, some women experience discomfort during intercourse, which can be caused by different issues:
- The woman is not sufficiently aroused, which means that the cervix and the uterus haven't been pushed up enough and the vagina hasn't expanded. In this case the penis hits the cervix, creating discomfort in the woman.
- The man has a very large penis.
- The man is thrusting too hard.
- The woman hasn't lubricated enough.
If a woman experiences discomfort during intercourse it is likely that this is caused by some of the problems explained above. If you experience pain during intercourse the best thing to do is to speak with your partner. Changing positions and reducing the depth of thrusting might be helpful.
Does the size of the vagina affect sexual enjoyment?
Now that we know the average depth of a woman's vagina we can answer the question of whether this size affects sexual enjoyment. A study published in the International Urogynecology Journal concluded that vaginal length and depth weren't related to sexual enjoyment. There are many factors that affect a woman's sexual enjoyment more than the size of her vagina, such as overall arousal, lubrication and the relationship between her and her partner.
The popular belief exists that a man with a bigger penis will give more pleasure to a woman. This is not particularly true, as many other factors are included in women's sexual pleasure. In fact, the majority of women don't reach orgasm only through penetration, so the size of the penis is something not that important in this case. However, it is important to note that if the penis fits perfectly in the vagina, the rubbing will be greater and the woman will get more pleasure out of it.
The actual depth of a woman's vagina has nothing to do with sex enjoyment. What is strictly connected to the sexual enjoyment of a woman is the tightness of the muscles in the vagina.
What happens when the vagina is loose
As vaginas are flexible, they become looser with time. This happens mostly after giving birth, when the muscles in the pelvic area have been stretched to let the baby pass. As mentioned above, the depth and length of the vagina don't have anything to do with sexual enjoyment. However, tightness of the vagina does. If the vagina is looser and the walls are broader, it will be hard for the woman to feel the penis inside.
Besides sexual problems, having a loose vagina and pelvic area can lead to other problems such as incontinence.
Causes of a loose vagina
There are different causes that can make a woman's vagina become broader and looser:
- Age: with age the vagina becomes looser.
- Giving birth: the muscles in the vagina suffer pressure and stretching when giving birth, which loosens the vagina.
- Medical conditions: there are some conditions that can make the vagina loose.
How to tighten up the muscles in your vagina
Having a loose vagina is not an irreversible problem. Following the correct exercises it is possible to tone up the vagina:
- Doing Kegel exercises. This type of exercises put the focus on strengthening the pelvic muscles.
- Using Ben-Wa Balls. These balls are inserted in the vagina and when the woman walks, they collide against the walls of the vagina. This causes a reflexive contraction response that helps strengthening the pelvic floor muscles.
- Having orgasms: Orgasms contract the pelvic floor muscles, so you are toning them while having one.
- Eating a balanced diet. Ingesting all the necessary nutrients for your body will ensure the correct development of your muscles, including the ones in the vagina.
This article is merely informative, oneHOWTO does not have the authority to prescribe any medical treatments or create a diagnosis. We invite you to visit your doctor if you have any type of condition or pain.
If you want to read similar articles to What is the Average Depth of a Woman's Vagina, we recommend you visit our Family health category.
- The depth of the vagina varies in different women
- Depth and length of the vagina have no correlation with sexual enjoyment