Why Is Okra Good for You
Traditionally used in far Eastern cuisine for centuries, Okra, also known as Bhindi, is a vegetable whose origin we find in Ethiopia. eaten raw, in soups or salads, many Japanese and Indian recipes include this ingredient.
You may have heard of the fabulous health benefits of Okra but are not quite sure what it is that makes this plant so good for your well-being. This is why at OneHowTo we want to learn why is Okra good for you by taking a look at all of the properties this Mallow plant hides within.
High in fiber
One of the most popular reasons why Okra is good for you is the fact that it is very high in fiber, which is the reason why it's usually recommended in weight loss diets. Moreover, it's precisely its fiber content that also makes it a good aid for those who want to lower cholesterol levels.
Rich in vital vitamins
Do you know the amount of vitamins Okra has? This vegetable is rich in Vitamin A, B-6, C, E and K. This makes it a great aid for blood circulation and the immune system, thus preventing infections and getting rid of free radicals much easier.
Source of minerals
Apart from all of the aforementioned benefits, we should also highlight Okra is a big source of the following minerals:
- Iron: The amount of Iron in Okra makes it great for people who suffer from anemia or low blood pressure.
- Calcium:It's a great substitute for dairy products for vegans, as it has 100g contains 8% of our daily dose of calcium.
- Magnesium: People who suffer from type 2 diabetes will find that Okra is a good source to help with insulin resistance.
- Manganese: Certain people, especially those with bad eating habits, develop a Manganese deficiency. It can also help people with thyroid problems and low sex drive.
If you want to keep your skin looking healthy and young, Okra is the vegetable for you. This is not only due to the amount of beta-carotene it contains, but also thanks to its anti-oxidant properties, which will also help prevent cancers such as lung and oral cancer as well as helping maintain good vision as you get older.
Useful for conceiving
When in period of conceiving a child, Okra is said to be good to increase chances of pregnancy. Not only this, but it can also avoid malformations that may occur during the gestation of the fetus.
Contraindications of Okra
In spite of its many benefits, Okra also has some contraindications we should tell you about.
Diabetics should consult their doctor before taking Okra, as, if taking metformin hydrochloride, eating this vegetable may diminish its effect, thus even raising blood sugar levels.
The best way to eat Okra
To take advantage of its full benefits, it's useful to know the best way to eat this vegetable and add it to your diet.
- In some countries you can purchase pickled Okra and eat is as a snack.
- In India, Okra is commonly used in many dishes. Here's how to cook it.
- If you want to use it to lose weight, your best bet is to make Okra water to enjoy all of its benefits.
You should always wash Okra pods before consuming them, no matter how, as many can contain powerful chemical insecticides.
This article is merely informative, oneHOWTO does not have the authority to prescribe any medical treatments or create a diagnosis. We invite you to visit your doctor if you have any type of condition or pain.
If you want to read similar articles to Why Is Okra Good for You, we recommend you visit our Healthy living category.