What to Eat if I Have Hyperthyroidism
Hyperthyroidism or an overactive thyroid is a syndrome in our thyroid gland that excessively produces the thyroid hormone, causing various symptoms that can affect our quality of life. This condition must be diagnosed by a doctor, who will evaluate the patient to determine the origin of this condition and appropriate treatment. Besides medical treatment, incorporating exercise into your routine and making changes in your diet can significantly improve the quality of life of patients with this condition. So at oneHOWTO we explain what to eat if I have hyperthyroidism.
What to eat if you have hyperthyroidism
The diet for patients with hyperthyroidism should include foods low in iodine, as the excessive presence of the minerals influences the severity of this disorder. Ingredients that favor a decreased thyroid hormone are also important to include. Among the foods you can eat if you have hyperthyroidism are:
- Broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage and Brussel sprouts, which help inhibit iodine uptake.
- Nuts, that help control the production of the thyroid hormone.
- Radishes, which also inhibit the absorption of iodine and controls the production of this hormone.
- Add fresh fruits to your diet, especially oranges, grapes, plums, melons and lemons.
- Lithium-rich foods such as asparagus, onions, potatoes and endives.
- Meats such as chicken, turkey, fish or beef.
- Choose whole-grains that are rich in vitamin B.
- Raw vegetables like carrots.
What to avoid eating if you have hyperthyroidism
If you have hyperthyroidism, it is advisable to avoid foods rich in iodine, so limit your intake of the following ingredients:
- All kinds of seafood such as crayfish, muscles, clam, prawns, etc.
- Nuts such as almonds, hazelnuts, cashews and pistachios.
- Fresh fruits such as coconuts, apples, strawberries, mangoes and apricots.
- Avoid eating spinach, peas, beans and corn.
- Moderate intake of legumes such as soybeans or lentils.
- Food with gluten such as bread, pasta or beer.
- Remove plants and spices like cinnamon, fennel or ginseng from your diet.
- Avoid any type of seaweed.
- Do not eat refined products, fast food or fatty ready-made meals.
- Soy, as the amount of estrogen found in this product can make your condition worse.
You may also find interesting to know how to treat hypothyroidism.
This article is merely informative, oneHOWTO does not have the authority to prescribe any medical treatments or create a diagnosis. We invite you to visit your doctor if you have any type of condition or pain.
If you want to read similar articles to What to Eat if I Have Hyperthyroidism, we recommend you visit our Family health category.