What To Eat If I Have Fatty Liver
Fatty liver, also known as hepatic steatosis, consists of the accumulation of fat in this organ, producing an inflammation that, should it not be dealt with properly, can lead to serious diseases such as cirrhosis. The treatment of this condition is strongly determined by the food that we eat and our habits, that is why a change of diet is essential if we want to restore our liver's health. Don't know where to begin? Let OneHowTo explain what to eat if you have fatty liver.
What to eat if I have fatty liver
An important number of patients that present an accumulation of fat on the liver suffer from this condition due to an inadequate diet and harmful habits. It is therefore very important to understand that if you do not adjust your eating habits you will not cure your fatty liver.
These are the foods that you can eat if you have a fatty liver:
- Foods high in fibre, as this ingredient slows the absorption of fat in the body. Most recommended are wholegrain cereals like oats, rice or whole wheat bread and avoiding eating processed or white flours.
- Fresh vegetables are also rich in fibre and effective for patients with this condition. Spinach, chard, carrots, asparagus and broccoli are excellent alternatives.
- Fresh fruits rich in fibre such as apples, pears, kiwifruit, pineapple or citrus fruits such as lemon and orange, are excellent alternatives to clean the liver and to improve your health.
- Pulses can be included in the diet if these are well tolerated. Among the alternatives are lentils which are easier to digest, but these must always be prepared without meat or cured sausages.
- Lean meats like chicken or turkey and fish are a source of protein suitable for patients with fatty liver, but it is best to keep the animal products to a minimum.
- All foods to be eating must be prepared with little fat; opting for oven, grill or steam cooking is best.
- It is always advisable to choose fresh fruit and vegetables and forget frozen products.
- Always use low-fat milk like almond or rice milk and in low quantities.
- Olive oil in very small quantities.
- Drink at least 2 litres of water a day
What to avoid if I have fatty liver
If you have a fatty liver the recommendation is to avoid or eliminate the following food from your diet:
- Saturated fats such as fried foods, very fatty meats, cured sausages, vegetable oils, butters or creams must all be completely eliminated from the diet.
- Alcohol, is one of the main triggers of fatty liver.
- Whole fat dairy products and fatty cheeses such as those which are cured.
- Processed flours and sugars.
- Fried snacks like crisps, cheese sticks, nachos, etc.
- All kinds of fast foods should be completely avoided because of their high trans fat content.
- Sweets and industrial confectionery for its high fat content and sugars.
- Soft drinks, packaged juice and sugary drinks.
Recommendations to care for the liver
Fatty liver is a condition which requires our utmost attention, it is therefore advisable to change your diet and increase physical activity. In addition we invite you to read other articles connected with this issue which you will find interesting:
This article is merely informative, oneHOWTO does not have the authority to prescribe any medical treatments or create a diagnosis. We invite you to visit your doctor if you have any type of condition or pain.
If you want to read similar articles to What To Eat If I Have Fatty Liver, we recommend you visit our Diseases & secondary effects category.