What To Eat For Dinner To Sleep Well
Sleeping well is not always as simple as it seems; our habits in the hours that run up to bed time determine how we will sleep to a large extent. For example, if we watch something on the television that is fast paced it may be that we will not sleep as placidly as we would hope to. Similarly, if we have a large and heavy dinner our sleep will be less repairing. So, if your ask yourself what to eat for dinner to sleep well, OneHowTo gives you the answer.
How to have dinner to sleep well
When it comes to sleeping well we must implement several good habits to be successful. It it is not enough to simply choose suitable food for dinner, it is also necessary to consider other factors, for example:
- Portions: dine in moderation, going to bed with a full belly makes for poor rest. Remember that the body invests a lot of energy in digesting a meal, this could affect the ability to sleep properly. In addition, abundant dinners before sleep are closely associated with other sleeping problems such as snoring or nightmares.
- Dinner schedule: specialists recommend that a period between 2 and 3 hours should elapse between dinner time and sleep. In this way you ensure your body has time to adequately digest the food, leading to a better rest.
- Combine nutrients: It is known that melatonin and tryptophan are both great aids for sleep. Therefore, combine foods that are high in melatonin and tryptophan for full benefits.
Protein to sleep well
Protein is not only a good dinner option so we don't put weight on, but is also excellent in helping us sleep. Protein contains tryptophan, a substance which favors the regulation of our melatonin (the hormone involved in sleeping) levels, and serotonin (a neurotransmitter that also has an effect on how we rest).
If you want to choose an option to eat for dinner to sleep well, opt for a lean meat such as fat-free chicken or turkey, as well as foods such as fish, especially oily fish and hard boiled eggs. Remember that you must also watch the preparation of foods, preferring these cooked in the grill, oven , by vapor or stewed.
Low fat dairy
Like proteins, dairy products also offer a dose of tryptophan that will help you sleep well. But if you want your stay in good health and maintain your figure it is best to switch to skimmed versions, consuming food like yoghurt, 0% light cheese or a glass of skimmed milk.
If you don't eat dairy products, a good alternative is vegetables that are high in calcium such as Kale or collards. If you can't eat dairy, you may also be interested in knowing how to get calcium without eating dairy.
Magnesium helps us sleep better
Foods high in magnesium are excellent options for dinner to sleep well, because they help relax the muscles and to ensure the health of the central nervous system, important aspects to rest adequately. Soy, whole, to drink or in other formats such as tofu or soy protein, are a good dinner alternative which is also light. Nonetheless, remember to not consume this in excess as, being a legume, it has a high fiber content.
A handful of nuts without salt or added sugar is also a good option when you do not want to eat too much food, because these contain magnesium and tryptophan which favor sleep.
Infusions and teas to accompany
A good habit that you will help to sleep well is to reduce the intake of alcohol at night. Choose instead infusions that will help you relax and induce sleep, essential for proper rest. Camomile or lavender are popularly known for this effect, but there are many more alternatives such as teas to help you sleep. There are a great number of options you can choose.
What you should NOT eat for dinner to sleep well
Knowing what foods are favourable to rest is important, but we also need to know what we must avoid in the late hours to ensure a good rest. That is why we recommend you withdraw several options from your diet:
- Snack foods or food which are rich in fat, because these hamper digestion and make for a heavy stomach.
- Meals rich in sugar as these activate us, not what we want during the last few hours of the day.
- Alcohol is a powerful stimulant that, in addition, can give us a bad night if we abuse it.
- Beverages containing caffeine such as tea, coffee or soft drinks, none of which favours sleep as these are all stimulants.
This article is merely informative, oneHOWTO does not have the authority to prescribe any medical treatments or create a diagnosis. We invite you to visit your doctor if you have any type of condition or pain.
If you want to read similar articles to What To Eat For Dinner To Sleep Well, we recommend you visit our Mental health category.