What are the Symptoms of High Testosterone
Testosterone is a hormone produced in the male testes and adrenal glands. Its production is very important for males as it is responsible for stimulating the growth of body hair and prolonging erection during sexual intercourse.
However, although testosterone is closely associated with the male body, women also produce this hormone, albeit in less quantity. Therefore, it is important to understand that men and women may have high levels of this hormone, which can affect health and produce significant changes in the body. To understand the symptoms of high testosterone , keep reading this informative OneHowTo article.
Although there may be high testosterone levels in both men and women, the causes can vary, due to differences in gender. Let us first begin by discussing the causes of high testosterone in women:
- Polycystic ovary syndrome.
- Ovarian cancer.
- Low levels of oestrogen.
- Steroids or drugs for muscle growth.
- Treatments for breast cancer or hormone therapy.
For men, the main causes of high testosterone are:
- Excessive consumption of tobacco and alcohol.
- Intramuscular injections or steroids.
- Some vaccines.
- Consumption of supplements to treat low testosterone.
High testosterone symptoms vary according to gender. In women, the main symptoms of high levels of this hormone are:
- In women, high testosterone stimulates the production of fat, so it is common to notice the appearance of acne and oily scalp.
- One of the main functions of testosterone is to stimulate the growth of body hair. Therefore, when testosterone is high in women, they can begin suffering from hirsutism, a condition characterised by excessive hair growth on the face or body parts where women do not ordinarily have hair.
- High testosterone can also cause physical changes that make women look more masculine.
- High levels of testosterone can also cause an enlarged clitoris and a considerable increase in libido.
- Menstrual cycle disorder or absence of menstruation.
- The increase of this hormone in women is detrimental to the health of the liver, it stimulates the emergence of a disease known as peliosis hepatis, which consists of the appearance of blood-filled cysts in the liver.
- Deepening in the tone of voice.
- Cardiovascular diseases such as hypertension and high cholesterol.
- Increased abdominal fat.
- Male pattern baldness.
- Bad mood.
- Hair loss.
In men, high testosterone symptoms hey are:
- One of the indicators of high testosterone in men is that the ring finger is longer than the index finger.
- As in women, excessive body hair develops. Hair grows thicker and faster than usual.
- Men with high testosterone have a leaner physique and rather high cheekbones.
- Decrease in impulse control.
- Significant increase in libido.
- Drastic mood swings.
- When increasing testosterone is due to steroid abuse, it is common for the man to present physical changes such as reduced testicle size, increased breast tissue, lower sperm count, impotence, liver tumours and heart trouble.
- High testosterone also stimulates the production of male fat, so other symptoms would be increased abdominal circumference, oily scalp, oily skin and acne.
- Constant muscle aches are also symptoms of this condition.
Having high testosterone or low testosterone represents a major hormonal change to the body, which, if not treated promptly and properly under medical supervision, can lead to very harmful consequences for your health. These will affect organs such as the liver, heart, reproductive system, endocrine system and adrenal glands.
If you think you have symptoms of high testosterone we recommend making an appointment with your doctor for a thorough check-up on your health. Generally, treating this disorder consists mainly in going to the root of the problem, the cause that triggers the condition.
This article is merely informative, oneHOWTO does not have the authority to prescribe any medical treatments or create a diagnosis. We invite you to visit your doctor if you have any type of condition or pain.
If you want to read similar articles to What are the Symptoms of High Testosterone, we recommend you visit our Family health category.