Natural Remedies to Avoid Getting Sick on Holiday - for Adults and Kids
Holidays are a much awaited time of the year, and most of us would like to avoid getting sick, better yet if with natural remedies that contain no harmful chemicals. Yet, it is estimated that most travelers get sick on holiday, it could be diarrhea, a flu, or just motion sickness. In fact, when we travel, we encounter a whole set of viruses our immune system does not know, because they are different from the viruses we "familiarized" with back home. It is important to boost immune system before travel, and also to have a natural medicine travel kit with you while on holiday. As more and more families are starting to get brave and travel with kids, it also important to protect their health so that the holiday doesn´t transform into a total nightmare.
So, today, at OneHowTo, we will talk about natural remedies to boost immune system before travelling, natural medicine travel kit, and kids´travel heath. Read on to discover our natural remedies to avoid getting sick on holiday.
Natural remedies to boost immune system before travelling
- First of all, you should have healthy habits for the couple of weeks preceding your trip if you want to avoid getting sick while travelling overseas. That means 7-8 hours of sleep a day, no smoke, no alcohol, and a healthy diet.
- Consume a lot of raw garlic. It is antibiotic, antiviral, and anti fungal: the perfect natural remedy to boost immune system before travel. Put it in your hummus, rub it on a slice of toasted bread, or put it in your pasta sauce.
- Start your day with a spoon of honey, which is known to strengthen the immune system and prevent sore throat.
- Consume lots of vitamin C. A good way to do it is by adding some freshly squeezed lemon juice to your glass of water. For an even more powerful immune system booster, also grate some lemon zest in your water
- Drink plenty of green tea. Know in Asia as an immune system booster for centuries, green tea is your best friend when it comes to boosting immune system before travel.
- Consult a travel health professional, especially if you are travelling with kids, or you are going to visit an exotic destination. They will advice on vaccinations and medicines to carry with you.
Natural medicine travel kit
It is important for you to have your natural medicine kit handy so that you can intervene when the first symptoms of illness appear. That way you can prevent using stronger medicines.
- Carry some form of ginger with you. Ginger has many properties: anti-inflammatory, anti-bacterial, anti-fungal. Moreover, it is an excellent quick natural remedy for motion sickness, and it helps you digest well. You can carry it in powder, teabags, or even candies so that you have it available on planes and trains.
- Probiotics are an essential component of any natural medicine travel kit. They not only strengthen your digestive system, they boost your general immune system while travelling. It is recommendable to take some probiotics every day for the entire duration of your holiday, especially if you would like to try exotic foods. They have no side effects.
- Arnica cream will help relieve sore muscles and relax your legs on long flights.
- Carry some relaxing herbal teas such as chamomile to prevent insomnia, jet lag, and promote relaxation.
- Take magnesium every day to avoid getting sick while travelling. It will help you relax, thus boosting your immune system.
- In case of stronger jet lag or travel anxiety, have some valerian with you.
- Carry eucalyptus and propolis for sore throat and flu, especially if you are travelling with kids.
- Put some natural insect repellent in your natural medicine travel kit: neem oil is fantastic.
- Aloe vera will help you with sunburns.
- Coconut oil can be used as a mild sunscreen, did you know that?
Healthy habits to avoid getting sick on holiday
- Prevention first: refrain from bad holiday behavior such as staying in the sun for too long, getting drunk every night, or eating lots of unhealthy food if you want to avoid getting sick on holiday. It is OK to engage in those activities from time to time, but don´t let unhealthy behavior spoil your holiday.
- Try to wash your hands as frequently as possible, that is really the best way to avoid getting sick on holiday.
- Eat freshly made, thoroughly cooked food. Actually, street food is better than buffet food, because it is always fresh and not contaminated.
Whether you are travelling with children, travelling with a baby, or travelling with toddlers, their health and wellbeing always come first. Start early by giving them probiotics and vitamins one week before departure in order to give their immune system a boost.
Make a list of health facilities and English speaking pediatricians in the areas you are visiting. Travelling with kids doesn't mean you will necessarily use those facilities, but your trip will be much more relaxing if you have an in case of emergency plan.
Be up to date with vaccines and bring every medication travelling with kids might require. Don't forget your children's medical information and a hand sanitizer that will prevent germs transmission.
One of the most important advices on how to travel with kids is to have a medical insurance, it will make you feel safer.
If you get sick while on holiday, seek help from a doctor to avoid making things worse
If you are in doubt on how to avoid getting sick on holiday, visit your GP or travel health doctor.
Enjoy your holiday!
This article is merely informative, oneHOWTO does not have the authority to prescribe any medical treatments or create a diagnosis. We invite you to visit your doctor if you have any type of condition or pain.
If you want to read similar articles to Natural Remedies to Avoid Getting Sick on Holiday - for Adults and Kids, we recommend you visit our Healthy living category.