List of non-fattening and low-calorie foods
Surely if you are thinking of starting a diet you will have asked yourself what foods are not fattening or at least what food has a low calorie count. It is a question that often appears in our mind when wanting to change our lifestyle habits and have a healthier and low-fat life.
There are many myths about food sources that make some foods forbidden and others acceptable. However, in this OneHowTo article we clear all doubts by giving you a list of foods that are not fattening, and which you can safely eat during your diet.
First of all we want to clarify one thing: all foods contain calories. These are an essential tool that our body needs to have energy and carry out our daily lives. So, strictly speaking, all foods are fattening. However there are some that hardly fatten and their calories are aimed at energy consumption rather than being stored as saturated fat. These are precisely the foods which are considered non fattening foods, but it is a colloquial way of describing their condition because, as already noted, all foods contain calories.
Fruits are foods that serve to satisfy our body's need for sweet things and provide low calories and large amounts of water that promote cleansing of the body and eliminate toxins. But not all fruits are suitable for our diet, so now we detail the fruits that are not fattening:
- Watermelon: Per 100 grams of watermelon eaten there are 15 kcal. Therefore this fruit is one of the most recommended if you want to lose weight. It consists mainly of water, making it perfect to cool off in summer and ideal to get rid of liquids.
- Grapefruit: Most diets include eating grapefruit or grapefruit juice to detoxify the body. And this fruit also fattens very little (only 26 kcal. per 100 grams) and contains nutrients such as high amounts of fibre, calcium, vitamin C, magnesium and potassium.
- Strawberries: These are also one of the fruits that are less fattening as for every 100 grams of strawberries you only ingest 27 kcal.
- Peach: And finally, the peach is also one of the foods that are not fattening as per 100 grams you eat just 30 kcal. It is a fruit that is made up of a lot of water and, therefore, is perfect to help remove fluids. It also has a lot of fibre so you will feel satiated after eating.
- Tomato: Yes, tomato is actually a fruit, though commonly used in salads and sauces. If eaten raw, tomatoes are very benefitial for heal and only have 22 calories per tomato on average.
- Lemon: It is said that lemon juice in the morning will help detoxify your body and help in fat burning. Moreover, lemon only contains 20 calories per piece.
Vegetables are also slimline foods, besides being very nutritious ingredients that provide minerals and vitamins which are very beneficial for the body. This is complemented by the fact that its caloric and fat contribution is very low, this makes them really good choices to lose weight without going hungry. They also have a great satiating power because they are made of fibre and energy that will help you lead a healthy and light life.
Among the less fattening vegetables we can highlight the following:
- Broccoli: For each cup of these vegetables we eat we only ingest 30 kcal. Moreover, its high fibre content makes us feel satiated and calm the hunger that we can feel while on a diet.
- Artichoke: This plant is basically made up of water so it is ideal to help eliminate toxins and purify our body. In addition, it is also formed with fibre so it has a great satiating effect.
- Asparagus: It is also one of the foods that do not fatten because they are a potent diuretic and gives the body many essential vitamins without noticing the calories.
- Celery: It hardly has any calories and this vegetable is also a good diuretic. It also has great antioxidant which helps maintain our body.
- Spinach and chard: They are high in fibre and low in calories making them perfect choices to lose weight while eating delicious dishes.
- Arugula: Another leafy friend that will help you lose weight thanks to its low amount of fat and cholesterol. It is also very high in vitamin A,c and K, so it's a great ally in most diets.
- Brussels Sprouts: These are full of fiber and very low in calories, they make a great light meal and have more or less the same effect as cabbage, another low-cal classic.
- Cauliflower: It's a well-known super-food that will give you plenty of nutrients, will help you prevent several cancers and will keep you perfectly nourished whilst you still intake very few calories.
Within the meat food group, note that the less fatty meats are lean meats. These are foods that contain fewer carbohydrates and become a primary source of pure protein.
To find out if a meat is lean it is only necessary to know the intaken amount and fat; in general, in this type of meat 100 grams contains less than 10% fat.
Among these light meats, we would highlight the following as those that contain fewer calories:
- Skinless chicken: The parts that contain less fat are the breast and thighs and therefore will be the best to eat if you want to lose weight. It is important the chicken be skinless as this area is full of hormones and fats that your body does not need.
- Turkey: This is another of the meats with low fat and cholesterol. As is the case with chicken, the turkey parts that have fewer calories are the breast and thighs.
- Rabbit: This ingredient is packed with fibre and has very little fat making it one of the least fattening meats that best suits a hypocaloric diet.
Fish is also a good alternative to enjoy a low calorie and healthy diet. However, not all fish are good for this purpose. White fish are the least fatty fish as they hardly have carbohydrates or fat. However, they do have a great capacity to satisfy the appetite. Generally, white fish only provide 3% of fat per 100 grams so we can make it a perfect ingredient for weight loss.
- Hake: It is an ingredient that contains large amounts of vitamin B and very few calories, so it is ideal to add to your diet without worrying about gaining weight.
- Cod: On our list of foods that are not fattening we could not miss cod. It contains large amounts of vitamins and Omega 3 making it the perfect ingredient to care for our heart and our figure.
- Grouper: This is a fish that contributes high amounts of vitamin B and E, hardly having any calories. For this reason it is perfect to be included in your healthy menu. Furthermore, it has few bones making it easy to cook.
- Sole: It is a very healthy alternative as it provides a lot of vitamin B with hardly any calories. The healthiest option is to bake or steam it, so you are consuming the minimum possible in calories.
Besides white fish, another less fattening food is seafood or shellfish. These are very healthy alternatives that hardly contain fat and their carbohydrate intake is negligible. The thing about seafood is that, as it is a high in water food source, the satiating effect is almost non-existent, so you have to eat lots to feel full.
Low calorie menu
Now you know what the best foods for a diet are as the detailed foods are high in nutrients, have a high satisfying power and have few calories, making them perfect to be included in your diet.
However, it is important that when organizing a healthy menu you consider some important aspects such as the following:
- To speed up your metabolism, it is important to eat 5 meals a day.
- Snacks should be fruit or skimmed yoghurt so you can feel full without eating lots of calories.
- If you're going to eat carbohydrates, opt for those that are prepared from whole wheat flour. This way you are increasing your fibre intake and reducing sugar. The best time to eat this kind of food is in the early morning, from the afternoon it is recommended that no carbohydrates should be eaten as part of the diet.
- Opt for light dinners which are predominantly composed of vegetables and / or proteins. During the last hours of the day it is not advisable to eat fruits because they have too much sugar and this is not burned it will become fat.
In this OneHowTo article we give you tips about planing a healthy menu.
This article is merely informative, oneHOWTO does not have the authority to prescribe any medical treatments or create a diagnosis. We invite you to visit your doctor if you have any type of condition or pain.
If you want to read similar articles to List of non-fattening and low-calorie foods, we recommend you visit our Healthy living category.