List of foods that are difficult to digest
We tend to believe that our stomach is ready to receive any food, and our bodies should be able to process it simply because it is food. But the reality is that our digestive system is complex and that some products are not entirely suitable or have an excess of harmful ingredients, limiting our stomach and causing problems in digestion. But you know what the foods that are hard to digest are? At OneHowTo.com we will explain.
One of the foods that is harder to digest is milk and all its derivatives: yogurt, cheese or ice cream. There are many reasons why dairy limits our stomach, among these are that:
- Our stomach is not ready to properly digest milk of any animal just because we are not their babies, so we do not have the enzymes to properly digest lactose and other proteins of this product. Humans should only drink milk when we are babies and preferably from our mother.
- Lactose is an ingredient for slow digestion, which causes increased heaviness and discomfort when digesting.
- Furthermore it is a high-fat product which does not benefit the body. Although it is possible to get skimmed milk at the supermarket, and though this may be milder,it is still hard to digest lactose because it will still be intact.
Among the hard-to-digest foods are fried foods, baked goods and foods that are generally high in trans fat. These are all at the top of the list. When we eat a plate of fried food we give our stomach much more fat than it can handle, which can cause swelling, heaviness, and abdominal discomfort, especially if you suffer from irritable bowel syndrome.
Although raw onion and garlic are common ingredients in many recipes, they are also extremely difficult to digest for our body, slowing digestion and producing gases. It is advisable to consume them in moderation and preferably cooked to reduce their flatulent effects and facilitate digestion.
The same applies to legumes such as chickpeas, lentils or beans. These foods are highly flatulent and heavy to digest, so it is normal that after consuming them we feel bloated and uncomfortable. To avoid these symptoms it is recommended to soak vegetables before cooking them, and to always make them with plenty of liquid so their effects on our bodies are less severe.
If you want to avoid flatulence, here are a few tips: How to prevent flatulence.
Milky chocolate is also on the list of difficult-to-digest foods for several reasons. The first and most obvious is the content of lactose and fat, but also the chocolate itself is a stimulant that can cause intestinal irritation and discomfort, hindering the process.
If you enjoy chocolate, it's better to eat it dark.
Other foods that are hard to digest and whose intake should moderate are:
- Broccoli, cabbage and all raw vegetables this family. Always consume them cooked
- Hot and spicy foods
- Processed foods high in sugar, such as candy
This article is merely informative, oneHOWTO does not have the authority to prescribe any medical treatments or create a diagnosis. We invite you to visit your doctor if you have any type of condition or pain.
If you want to read similar articles to List of foods that are difficult to digest, we recommend you visit our Healthy living category.