How to Gain Weight Fast
Do you want to gain weight fast? It is not a secret that a large number of people around the world are focused on losing weight to get the figure they want. However, there are also individuals who want to gain weight fast to gain muscle mass and get a healthier figure. In addition, weighing below the recommended weight put one's health in danger and heightens risk of various diseases. However, gaining weight is not always easy. Choosing the right foods, counting calories, and physical activity to develop muscle mass are some strategies commonly employed to achieve this goal. Keep reading this OneHowTo.com article to find out how to gain weight.
Before you do anything, find out how many calories a day you're consuming. It is important that you are clear about your caloric intake. Is it below the recommended daily amount for your age and gender? On the other hand, are you consuming enough calories? Perhaps your body is using it effectively, hindering your weight gain. In our article on how many calories should I eat a day for my age, we explain in detail how much you should eat.
Once you have determined the approximate quantity, you must plan your meals well, adding 500 extra calories a day. This can help you gain just over a pound per week, a fair quantuty for healthy and proportional weight gain. If the goal is to gain 1 kilo a week, you should increase your calorific intake by 1000 calories a day.
Instead of 3 meals a day, eat at least 5 if you want to gain weight fast: breakfast, a mid-morning snack, lunch, afternoon tea, dinner and supper. Also, try to have a snack before bed, increasing your meals to 6 per day.
You should always eat portions that are not too large, especially if the problem is a lack of appetite. The key is not to fill your plate up but to eat quality food that will help you to gain weight. With this in mind, we recommend that you eat the following on a daily basis:
- At least 180 grams of protein composed of ingredients such as chicken, turkey, red meat, pork, eggs, shellfish or fish. Go for oily fish such as salmon, tuna, sardines or trout as they contain good fats that are beneficial to health.
- Of all the calories you consume, at least 20% should be fat. Opt for healthy products like olive oil, flax, canola oil, avocado, oily fish, nuts or whole milk.
- Do not forget carbohydrates. Foods like potatoes, sweet potatoes, lentils, chickpeas, beans, peas, wholemeal bread, pasta or rice should be included on a daily basis.
If you are looking to gain weight fast in a healthy yet effective manner, you can add some foods that are considered high in calories to your diet. Some examples are:
- Pasta with a homemade tomato sauce or pesto and grated cheese.
- Chickpeas or lentils prepared with some protein, such as sausage or smoked pork chop.
- Fruit smoothies like bananas or strawberries made with whole milk, which are a great snack and excellent for increasing calorie intake.
- Whole yogurt served with fruit.
- Avocado a couple of times a week, as its healthy fat content will help you in gaining weight fast.
- Proteins with carbohydrate and other vegetables. Don't be scared of eating plenty of potatoes, rice, sweet potatoes or pasta.
- Nuts such as peanuts, almonds or hazelnuts: a perfect snack that you can take anywhere and will give your body fat and fibre.
- Natural juices, but never accompanied with food, as they can take away your appetite.
- Calorific fruit such as bananas, figs, dates or raisins.
- You can also eat products like cookies, chocolate or sweets, but in moderation. The idea is to gain weight fast and not to lose health.
When it comes to eating, it is important to do so properly; otherwise, you'll fill too quickly, which will prevent you from eating enough calories for the remainder of the day. Therefore, we recommend that you:
- Do not drink fluids while eating; this fills your stomach, making you less likely to clear you plate. Eat your food first and drink only once you have finished, preferably at room temperature. Avoid eating drinking soda, beer or fruit juices as they'll fill you up faster.
- Concentrate on eating and do not get distracted with anything else. Anything that diverts your attention can make you feel full faster.
- Do not eat very slowly: this is recommended for individuals looking to lose weight as it helps our brain receive the message that we are full more quickly. Eat what's on your plate quickly to be able to finish eating before feeling full if you want to lose weight fast.
Exercise at least 3 times a week is also recommended. This not only helps to stimulate appetite, it also improves muscle mass, helping you gain a little more volume and shape. To achieve this it is important to perform strength exercises as opposed to cardiovascular workout that burn more calories than you want.
Some good exercises to gain weight are:
If you've never practised physical activity and you think you need guidance, it is best to hire the services of a personal trainer.
In addition to these recommendations for gaining weight fast, it is very important that you consider healthy habits. Make sure you get enough sleep - at least 7 hours a day -, avoid smoking and consume alcohol in moderation.
If, despite all these recommendations, you do not gain weight, we recommend seeking advice from a nutritionist, who can guide you in the process.
This article is merely informative, oneHOWTO does not have the authority to prescribe any medical treatments or create a diagnosis. We invite you to visit your doctor if you have any type of condition or pain.
If you want to read similar articles to How to Gain Weight Fast, we recommend you visit our Healthy living category.