How to Cover Psoriasis on Face - Top Tips to Hide Psoriasis
Psoriasis is an unsightly skin condition that can occur on different parts of the body, but it becomes most noticeable if it appears on face. People with psoriasis on face feel uncomfortable in public, as they may not be able to face others with confidence. If you are having a bad flare-up right now, and you need a quick fix-up attend an event, wedding or job interview, then this oneHOWTO article will tell you how to cover psoriasis on face.
Cleanse and moisturize
To start with, apply some cleanser that is specifically formulated for extra-sensitive skin, preferably those that contain salicylic acid and glycolic acid to get rid of the scales. This is very important, as your skin is extra sensitive if you currently have psoriasis. Pour a few drops of bath oil on a piece of soft sponge, add some warm water to it, and apply on skin to gently remove the scales.
Use a good quality moisturizer to hydrate your skin surface. Make sure that the moisturizer you are using is free of chemicals, free of fragrances, and is hypoallergenic too. A petroleum based moisturizer will prevent the flaking of scales, so that they remain intact and do not become visible.
Apply primer and foundation for psoriasis
Before you go on to apply makeup, apply a gentle, fragrance-free primer that will help in smoothing out your skin surface. There are some primers that include certain moisturizing agents as well. A primer will not only help your foundation in staying better, but will also float on your skin to create an effect of resurfacing.
As far as foundation is concerned, choose one that is not too slippery, as it will not stay in the area that you want to cover. Choose a creamy or mousse formula to get a dewy look, while you should choose a liquid one to get a sheer appearance. Do not choose a foundation powder, as it will flake and scale. Preferably choose a foundation that has sunscreen, so that your psoriasis does not get worse. The foundation that you choose should match with the color of your skin. Do not try to darken or lighten your skin.
Tips to follow
You can make your cover-up last longer and safer by following these steps:
- Do not forget to do a test on a small patch of your skin to check the efficiency of the product and sensitivity of your skin
- Apply the products using your fingers. Doing this warm them up and applying them will become much easier than otherwise
- If you are applying them using an applicator, ensure that it is disposable and allergy-free
- Use a gentle dabbing stroke across the facial skin
- Don’t over-do the makeup, as it will make you look like a zombie
- Do not choose any products that contain shimmer, as they may irritate your already inflamed skin
- Prefer products that are especially designed for people with psoriasis. For instance, some products contain green dyes that aim at neutralizing skin redness
- Advanced self-tanning lotions are realistic to look at, and work as good camouflage for your facial psoriasis
Make sure you follow the recommendations given by your dermatologist and use these home remedies for psoriasis on face to recover more quickly.
Precautions while camouflaging psoriasis on face
According to experts, there are certain precautions that you should take while you cover psoriasis on face:
- Do not apply any product on open sores of your skin, which are blistering or bleeding
- If you have erythrodermic or pustular psoriasis, do not cover-up without consulting your dermatologist. Camouflage may not work on such psoriasis, and can even worsen it
- Watch out for any irritation in your skin. If you feel irritation after applying cover-up on your psoriasis, wash it off immediately as it may aggravate the condition
- Covering psoriasis on face is limited in its own terms. If your psoriasis is just some red and brown spots on your face, then covering them with cosmetics may be helpful. But if you have raised and scaly skin, cover-up may not be able to hide it
This article is merely informative, oneHOWTO does not have the authority to prescribe any medical treatments or create a diagnosis. We invite you to visit your doctor if you have any type of condition or pain.
If you want to read similar articles to How to Cover Psoriasis on Face - Top Tips to Hide Psoriasis, we recommend you visit our Diseases & secondary effects category.