How Do Probiotics Help with Weight Loss
Probiotics are small microorganisms that develop from bacteria or yeast found in food. They can be created in food when it is fermented, which is why probiotics are found in foods such as yogurt and kefir drinks.
It is said that this type of bacterial is beneficial for our intestinal transit and can help fight bad bacteria but, how do probiotics help with weight loss? Are they effective? After several studies assure that this component helps you lose weight, oneHOWTO is here to bring some light on this subject and see if it's true or not.
Probiotics to fight obesity and overweight
As we've mentioned, probiotics are live bacteria. This bacteria remains alive once we ingest probiotic foods throughout out digestive system. Among the amount of health benefits of probiotics, is that it helps balance the intestinal flora.
Putting on weight can be caused by a change in the body's internal ecosystem. This means that certain side effects of obesity and weight gain can affect the chances of losing it again. With obesity, people usually experience higher blood pressure, higher levels of cholesterol and distortion of blood sugar levels. These three factors can affect the way that the gut functions in several ways:
- The bacteria found in the gut will save energy (calories) from the food you eat. If there is a bigger intake in calories, the bacteria will need to harvest more energy, which will slow the person's metabolism.
- The bacteria found in the gut is in charge of regulating the hormones that control blood sugar levels, if these hormones decrease, blood sugar levels will rise and there is a higher risk of leaky gut.
- Genetic mutations can occur in the gut that can affect the feeling of being full.
- In the gut we can find two types of good bacteria: bacteroidetes and firmicutes. When there is an unbalance, they can release toxins that trigger inflammation. These are especially common in people with diabetes type 2 and obesity.
- The increase in blood sugar levels and the appearance of toxins can cause Leaky Gut syndrome.
As you've seen, the gut is highly affected by weight, which is why the key to lose weight is to have a healthy gut, this is when probiotics kick in. The bacteria contained in probiotics can thus help restore the gut and make it healthy, helping you to lose weight more effectively in turn.
How can probiotics help you lose weight?
So how to probiotics help with weight loss? Let's take a look at all the functions that probiotic products have in our gut's function:
Regulation of gut bacteria
As we've said, the gut has two types of bacteria. Probiotics can help balance bacteroidetes and firmicutes when there is an unbalance. This will avoid bloating and gut inflammation.
Improvement of your metabolism
Probiotics from the Lactobacillus family can reduce the amount of energy harvested by the bacteria in the gut by inhibiting fat absorption and promoting its direct excretion. This is done thanks to the increased levels of ANGPTL4 protein.
Probiotics trigger the release of GLP-1, which is a hormone that creates the sensation of fullness, which is why it will satiate hunger and make you feel full for longer. This hormone can also help burn fat.
The best Probiotics for weight loss
Not all probiotics help you love weight and can actually lead to weight gain if not taken properly. Studies have found that several probiotic strains such as Lactobacillus acidophilus will have the opposite effect on the body.
Therefore, we should concentrate on the following if you want to lose weight:
- The amount of health benefits of Kefir make it a great probiotic to add to your diet, especially for breakfast when combined with fresh fruit and chia seeds. Here you can learn how to make water kefir and how to make homemade milk kefir, which is similar to yogurt.
- Tempeh, which is actually fermented soy bean, is a great alternative for vegans who want to enjoy the effects of probiotics. This product can be added to salads, sandwiches or even baked.
- Kombucha tea is also great for weight loss. This is a great alternative to mid-morning coffee and it will help you feel fuller for longer.
- Non-pasteurized Sauerkraut, which is fermented cabbage can also be beneficial for weight loss, as it can be a great alternative side dish for your meals. In this sense, Kimchi, which is also known as Napa Cabbage will have the same effect.
Combine these products with a balanced diet and enough exercise in order to lose weight effectively. Remember that there is no magical ingredient to get slim, but it's the sum of factors that can promote weight loss.
This article is merely informative, oneHOWTO does not have the authority to prescribe any medical treatments or create a diagnosis. We invite you to visit your doctor if you have any type of condition or pain.
If you want to read similar articles to How Do Probiotics Help with Weight Loss, we recommend you visit our Healthy living category.
- Yogurt can usually contain Lactobacillus acidphilus, which is why it's not the most recommended probiotic to lose weight. However, we do recommend its intake due to other health benefits of this probiotic. Take in moderation.